NIAGARA FALLS, ON, June 2, 2012 /CNW/ - Canada's engineering profession celebrated the accomplishments of seven outstanding professional engineers and one engineering project during the Engineers Canada Awards gala held today at the Sheraton on the Falls Hotel in Niagara Falls.
"I am thrilled to be involved with this event," said Ziya Tong, host of the awards gala and co-host of Discovery Channel's Daily Planet. "Without engineers, much of what I do and what we feature on Daily Planet would not be possible."
The 2012 award recipients reflect this positive impact across professions, and on communities. "From medical breakthroughs to serving communities worldwide through the design of water and food supply infrastructure, these professional engineers are leaders in their fields," said Marie Carter, FEC, P.Eng., interim chief executive officer and chief operating officer of Engineers Canada.
This year's Gold Medal Award recipient is Wilfrid Morin, ing., M.Sc.A., who has demonstrated leadership beneficial to both the engineering profession and his community in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. The Gold Medal Award is the highest recognition of its kind in engineering in Canada; one that Mr. Morin well deserves. A consulting engineer with expertise in civil, highway and water treatment engineering, Mr. Morin headed Teknika HBA, a Quebec engineering firm of 1,100 employees, and oversaw a merger that created exp, a world-class company with 3,300 employees. His management and focus on workplace quality of life led to Teknika HBA being listed among Quebec's best employers and the 50 best-managed companies in Canada.
"Mr. Morin's leadership is an example for us all." said Brent Smith, FEC, P.Eng., president of Engineers Canada. "He and the other 2012 award recipients exemplify how Canada's engineers help 34,000,000 people everyday."
The 2012 Engineers Canada Award recipients are:
- Gold Medal Award - Wilfrid Morin, ing., M.Sc.A
- National Award for an Engineering Project or Achievement - Port of Belledune Expansion Project
- Young Engineer Achievement Award - Milica Radisic, Ph.D., P.Eng.
- Medal for Distinction in Engineering Education - John A. Nychka, Ph.D., P.Eng.
- Award for the Support of Women in the Engineering Profession - Catherine A. Roome, P.Eng.
- Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service - Paul Blanchard, FEC, P.Eng.
- Gold Medal Student Award - Saksham Uppal
- Meritorious Service Award for Community Service - Anna Dunets Wills, B.A.Sc., M.Eng., P.Eng.
Visit www.engineerscanada.ca/e/pr_awards_1.cfm for more information.
The Engineers Canada Awards are sponsored by Manulife Financial, TD Insurance Meloche Monnex, ENCON and the Great-West Life Assurance Company. Engineers Canada is the national organization of the 12 provincial and territorial associations that regulate the practice of engineering in Canada.
For further information:
William Meyer, Manager, Communications, Engineers Canada
Tel: 613-232-2474, ext. 249