PETERBOROUGH, ON, April 18, 2019 /CNW/ - Climate change is one of the defining environmental challenges of our time. Increasing climate education, awareness, and action through independent third parties will support Canada's efforts to protect the environment and transition to a cleaner economy.
Today, the Minister of International Development and Minister for Women and Gender Equality, Maryam Monsef, on behalf of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change Catherine McKenna, announced funding to Random Acts of Green through the Government's Climate Action Fund.
Random Acts of Green is launching a mobile app to encourage Canadians to make everyday choices that will help cut pollution. With up to $200,000 in funding, the app will help users understand the impacts of their choices and offer a reward points system for the clean choices they make.
The Climate Action Fund provides up to $3 million to support projects delivered by students, youth, Indigenous Peoples and organizations, not-for-profit organizations, small and medium-sized businesses, and research and educational institutions.
Funded projects will raise awareness of climate change and clean growth and encourage others to take action in support of Canada's climate goals.
"Canadians across the country are full of good ideas. Their initiatives will help others learn and make positive choices to fight climate change. Local projects like Random Acts of Green provide solutions to fight climate change for Canadians in communities across the country."
– Maryam Monsef, Minister of International Development and Minister for Women and Gender Equality
"I am grateful for the Government of Canada's funding that will allow the Random Acts of Green app to spread across the country. This innovative tool will provide Canadians with a list of actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The app demonstrates the power that individuals have to create change. By working with organizations and businesses in our communities, each and every Canadian can make a difference for the health and future of our planet."
– Jessica Correa, Founder and CEO of Random Acts of Green
- Random Acts of Green is partnering with sponsors to offer rewards for participating in acts of green. Every green act earns participants a green point, which can be redeemed for discounts on products and services or gifts.
- The Climate Action Fund supports initiatives that help bring new ideas and innovations to help tackle climate change and encourage climate action. This effort supports Canada's climate plan objectives by making investments in climate solutions.
- Climate Action Fund
- Backgrounder Climate Action Fund
- Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change
- Random Acts of Green
SOURCE Environment and Climate Change Canada
For further information: Sabrina Kim, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, 819-743-7138, [email protected]; Jessica Correa, Founder and CEO, Random Acts of Green, 705-957-8575, [email protected]; Media Relations, Environment and Climate Change Canada, 819-938-3338 or 1-844-836-7799 (toll-free), [email protected]