LANGLEY, BC, May 19, 2017 /CNW/ -
- The strike/lockout of associates represented by the BCTGM Local 468 at Canada Bread's Bakery located in Langley, BC bakery has been underway for 49 days since the company's offer to resolve all outstanding issues between the parties was not accepted.
- During the last two months, we have consistently delivered fresh, great quality bread that our customers and consumers have come to love and expect from us. Canada Bread would like to thank our customers and consumers for their continued support during this lockout and for continuing to support our brands.
- Our contingency plan continues to depend on the dedication of our salaried employees who are diligently baking our bread at the bakery every day. Above all, we owe everyone involved a huge debt of gratitude for their ongoing support.
- We are encouraged that the Union has invited Canada Bread back to the negotiating table next Tuesday to discuss issues of concern in the comprehensive Collective Bargaining Agreement we proposed back in March. We are hopeful that the meetings next week will provide an opportunity to bring this labour dispute to a conclusion and that we can get all of our associates back to work.
- People are at the centre of everything we do. The products we bake and distribute end up on dinner tables and in lunch boxes across Canada. The jobs we create help communities thrive and enable men and women to support their families.
- Canada Bread Company, Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo since May 2014, is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster's®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Stonemill®, Ben's®, McGavins® and Vachon®. In business for more than 100 years, the Company operates 18 bakeries and employs approximately 4,225 associates across Canada.
SOURCE Canada Bread Company, Limited
For further information: Sylvia Sicuso, Canada Bread, 416-626-4316.