MISSISSAUGAS OF SCUGOG ISLAND FIRST NATION, ON, Nov. 2, 2018 /CNW/ - Today, together with Mississaugas of Scugog Island Chief Kelly LaRocca, the Honourable Jane Philpott, Minister of Indigenous Services, celebrated the addition of lands to the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.
Through a federal Order in Council, Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation recently obtained 13.13 hectares (32.445 acres) of additional land for their reserve, including mines and minerals for the use and benefit of Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation. The newly-added lands are adjacent to the First Nation's existing reserve and located in the Township of Scugog, Municipality of Durham, approximately 13 kilometres from the town of Port Perry, Ontario.
With the addition of these lands, the First Nation will be exploring housing and development opportunities for its members.
"Congratulations to Chief LaRocca and the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation on the addition of lands to your community. I wish them great success in their development of these newly added lands, which will enable further growth and economic opportunities to benefit their community."
The Honourable Jane Philpott, P.C., M.P
Minister of Indigenous Services
"After many years of hard work and determination, the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation has achieved our Additions to Reserve process for two small pieces of land adjacent to our community. We look forward to working with the Federal Government to add much more land to Scugog First Nation, most notably through the recent negotiated settlement terms of the Williams Treaties claim. Scugog First Nation members will decide what is best for these two new pieces to our reserve, and we hope this is a first of many lands to be added back to our Scugog First Nation community in the near future."
Chief Kelly LaRocca
Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation is located 42 kilometres southwest of Peterborough at the north end of Scugog Island in Lake Scugog, adjacent to the town of Port Perry.
- The Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management provides a mechanism for First Nations to opt-out of the lands-related sections of the Indian Act and take on the full administration of their lands, environment, and natural resources. This includes lawmaking powers as well as full liability for all acts and omissions.
- As a signatory of the Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management, Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation has asserted jurisdiction and control over land, environment and resource management.
- Additions to Reserve Policy
- Orders In Council
- First Nations Land Management Regime
- Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation
You can subscribe to receive our news releases and speeches via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit www.isc.gc.ca/RSS.
SOURCE Indigenous Services Canada
For further information: media may contact: Rachel Rappaport, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Jane Philpott, Minister of Indigenous Services, 819-934-2796; Media Relations, Indigenous Services Canada, 819-953-1160, [email protected]