VANCOUVER, May 22, 2019 /CNW/ - The Jack Webster Foundation is now accepting submissions for the 2019 Jack Webster Awards. The awards recognize excellence in journalism in BC and all BC-based journalists, reporting for BC news organizations on stories for BC audiences, are eligible to apply. Submissions will be accepted until midnight on July 7, 2019, PDT.
Only submissions published or aired between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019 are eligible, and they may be submitted by a journalist or team of journalists at http://www.jackwebster.com/awards/info.php. Only online submissions will be accepted.
Submissions are encouraged from print, radio, television and online sources that cover news, sports, the arts, business, community issues, and more. More specifically submissions are accepted in 13 different categories:
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - Print/Text-based online
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - Radio
- Excellence in Feature/Enterprise Reporting - TV
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - Print/Text-based online
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - Radio
- Excellence in Breaking News Reporting - TV
Presented in memory of Keith Bradbury
- Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Digital Journalism
- Best Reporting, Chinese Language
- Jack Webster Award for Community Reporting
- Jack Webster Award for Business, Industry & Economics
Endowed by Jean Cormier
- Jack Webster Award for Science, Technology, Health & Environment
- Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Legal Journalism
Sponsored by the Law Society of British Columbia
- Jack Webster Award for Commentator of the Year
Presented in memory of Linda Webster
A story or series may only be entered in one category, and applicants should make sure to include URLs of relevant digital material to used to enhance the reader/viewer/listener experience of submission (blogs, podcasts, social media, etc.). More information is available at http://www.jackwebster.com/awards/info.php.
An entry fee of $50 per submission will be charged and is payable by credit card. Three finalists in each category will be announced in September and the winners will be announced at the awards dinner November 7, 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver.
This year's Jack Webster Awards are made possible by BCIT, BCGEU, Capital Direct, FortisBC, Global Container Terminals Inc., Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Port of Vancouver, UDI, and Unifor. Thanks also to Cision for sponsoring this announcement.
The Jack Webster Foundation was founded in 1986 and named after the man who was Western Canada's best-known and most influential reporter. He left his mark on the BC journalism scene with his hard-hitting reporting style. In his more than 40 years of print, radio and television journalism, Jack Webster was synonymous with insightful, accurate and unabashed reporting. Today the Jack Webster Foundation carries on Jack's legacy by promoting and recognizing the achievements of BC based reporters by: holding the annual Jack Webster Awards for excellence in journalism in BC, awarding annual Student Awards to senior journalism students, awarding Professional Development Fellowships to working journalists, and providing educational seminars for the media.
SOURCE Jack Webster Foundation
For further information: Janet Mitchell, Executive Director, Jack Webster Foundation, T 604-603-4218, E [email protected]