QUEBEC CITY, May 26, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Common beliefs about electric vehicles are that they cost too much, aren't fun to drive, and are useless if you're going on a long trip. Most of them are false! At the first-ever Electric Vehicle Show, taking place May 26 to 28 at Place Bonaventure, CAA-Quebec experts will be helping to bust certain myths and set the record straight on this hugely promising automotive market.
Here are some examples that will be covered at CAA-Quebec's presentations:
- Too expensive? Too easy an argument! Yes, the price of a plug-in electric (PEV) or plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV) is higher than its gas-powered counterpart, but that's not accounting for the government purchase rebate, the reduced maintenance cost and, most important, the lower energy cost. All those savings mean that a few years after going electric, the trend is reversed. Moreover, electric vehicles are becoming increasingly less expensive to buy.
- Not fun? No, just different. Electric vehicles deliver instant acceleration, making them particularly pleasant for city driving. Plus, it's hard not to appreciate how quiet it is inside. And consider the overall experience: you'll make fewer visits to the gas station (or none at all), and with a PEV, it's goodbye to oil changes forever!
- Long trip? Yes, you can! A PHEV can travel as far as a fully gas-powered vehicle, while some PEVs, like the new Chevrolet Bolt EV and the various Tesla models, can easily make the trip from Montreal to Quebec City without a recharge. Otherwise, at a quick-charge station, it takes only 20 to 30 minutes to give the battery an 80% charge. It's simply a question of planning.
- Got range anxiety? Did you know the vast majority of commuters travel only 60 km per day, on average, to and from work? A PEV will easily cover that distance, even if it's minus 30°C out!
"Electric vehicles are gaining in popularity, and they're increasingly well suited to our lifestyles," says Sophie Gagnon, CAA-Quebec's Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs. "There's no doubt that after a visit to the show, many motorists will come away convinced, and ready to adopt electric vehicles, which are the way of the future," she concludes.
Hybrid? Plug-in hybrid? Fully electric? Which is best suited to your lifestyle? Consumers have many choices available, and lots of questions, many of them technical. Luckily for them, CAA-Quebec's automotive experts offer a treasure trove of neutral, credible information.
CAA-Quebec will be present throughout the Electric Vehicle Show:
- Specialists from Automotive Advisory Services will be on hand to answer questions from the public;
- A presentation featuring CAA-Quebec automotive expert Jesse Caron, titled Le VÉ à la portée de tous : mythe ou réalité? will be given twice, on Saturday, May 27, at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.;
- A driving simulator will be available for visitors to learn the basics of green driving.
CAA-Quebec, a not-for-profit organization, provides all of its members with peace of mind by offering them high-quality automotive, travel, residential and insurance benefits, products and services.
Follow us on Twitter!
For further information: Montreal: Annie Gauthier, 514 861-7111, ext. 6260, Cell. : 514 717-4040, email@example.com; Quebec City: Pierre-Olivier Fortin, 418 624-2424, ext. 6430, Cell. : 418 563-4590, firstname.lastname@example.org