Ontario's 37,000 farming families say thanks for buying local
GUELPH, ON, May 21, 2014 /CNW/ - Farm & Food Care and Ontario's farm families say thank you for buying local food and invite you to help celebrate Local Food Week from June 2-8, 2014. It's a great time to celebrate the passion we have for local food and all the people who help bring it to our tables here.
The United Nations has declared 2014 the Year of Farming Families. In Ontario, 37,000 farm families work 365 days per year to produce a bounty of local products.
"As we are encouraged to think globally and eat locally, this is the perfect time to celebrate the incredible quality and variety of food produced right here at home," says John Maaskant, a chicken farmer and chair of Farm & Food Care Ontario. "As farmers, we are so proud to feed our neighbours and we want to express our thanks to all of you who support us by choosing Ontario foods."
From the farmers' market or your grocery cart to the dinner table, Ontarians can enjoy the province's bounty of Ontario dairy, eggs, flowers, meats, fruits and vegetables all year long. Here are three great reasons to buy local Ontario food:
- Great food and choices. The abundance of local food choices is incredible with something for every taste, budget and occasion.
- Choosing local provides a personal connection with what you eat. There is a story behind every basket of produce, cut of meat, loaf of bread and glass of milk.
- Caring for the environment — Ontario farmers are committed to growing crops and raising livestock in an environmentally sustainable manner which leaves our farms in better shape for generations to come.
Wondering how you can celebrate local food? Here are six tips:
- Host your own local food celebration feast or barbecue with friends and family, each menu item has a story to be shared;
- Join the #loveONTfood Twitter party with farmers and foodies celebrating all things food and farming in Ontario June 3 at 8pm ET;
- Share your love of local food on social media using the #loveONTfood hashtag;
- Support your local farmers by choosing Ontario products all year long.
- Tour a farm virtually or find out more about how your food is produced here at home by visiting www.farmfoodcare.org
- Visit www.loveONTfood.ca for a full list of great resources on Ontario food and farming and more ideas on how to join in on the Local Food celebrations.
Farm & Food Care Ontario is a coalition of farmers, agriculture and food partners working together to ensure public trust and confidence in food and farming. Farm & Food Care provides a coordinated approach and credible information on food and farming in Ontario.
SOURCE: Farm & Food Care Ontario
For further information:
Kelly Daynard, Communications Manager, 519-837-1326, extension 224; firstname.lastname@example.org