VANCOUVER, May 25 /CNW/ - Canada's foremost leadership program, Action Canada, kicks off its sixth fellowship year this weekend, introducing 17 new Fellows who will participate in a three-day conference in Vancouver May 28-30.
The Fellows represent the best of Canada's emerging leaders. They include:
- Dr. Samir Sinha, the incoming chief of geriatrics at Mount Sinai and
University Health Network Hospitals in Toronto
- Mark Podlasly, a Vancouver First Nations environmental consultant to
large capital resource projects
- Shannon Wells, a research and policy analyst with Intergovernmental
Affairs, Privy Council Office, Ottawa
- Derek Dunfield, a Portland, ON neuroscientist studying behavioural
- Scott Robertson, a chief nursing officer in the Northwest Territories
- Kyle Hill, a Yarmouth, NS physicist researching in the field of
For all fellows' bios: http://www.actioncanada.ca/en/fellows/fellows/20102011-fellows/
The Vancouver Conference
The Vancouver conference is the first of six to be held across Canada during the 11-month program as Fellows meet and learn from Canadians who are leaders in their field.
Featured presenters include John Furlong, former CEO, VANOC and new advisory board chair for Own the Podium; Cathy Priestner Allinger, VANOC's former executive vice-president, sport and games operations; Tewanee Joseph, executive director and CEO, Four Host First Nations Society, as well as MP Andrew Saxton and former Canada Line CEO Jane Bird. In addition, Canadian journalists Jeffrey Simpson, Jacquie McNish, Andrew Cohen and Stephen Hume will teach Fellows the finer points of writing op-eds on policy issues of significance to Canada.
About Action Canada
Action Canada is a national fellowship program that enhances promising young Canadians' leadership skills, enriches their understanding of Canada and creates a network of skilled leaders for our country's future.
For more information: www.actioncanada.ca
- electronic photos available on request
SOURCE Action Canada
For further information: For further information: Janet Webber, Program Director, Directrice de programme, Action Canada, No. 341 - 3495 Cambie Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 4R3, tel: (778) 881-7961, www.actioncanada.ca