LAVAL, QC, June 23 /CNW Telbec/ - All throughout the year, the Société de transport de Laval (STL) offers a very advantageous fare policy for families. On weekends and holidays, children under 12 years of age have free access to the bus network if accompanied by an adult paying his or her own fare.
The STL celebrates summer vacations in a big way, with its free transportation policy all week long between July 1 and September 7: Children under age 12 may travel for free when accompanying an adult paying his or her own fare. And this policy applies to all families, whether or not they live in Laval. So this summer, you may travel around with your family aboard STL buses at very little cost.
And that's not all! Children registered at a Laval day camp may also travel free of charge, throughout the STL's network, when accompanied by their camp leader.
These fare measures are designed to promote public transit so that people will ultimately learn to use it and, in changing their habits, will contribute toward significantly reducing greenhouse gases.
With the same intent in mind, the STL drops its fare to just $1 when an official smog warning is in effect.
No other carrier does as much to improve the air quality and families' quality of life.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The overhaul of the bus network, made necessary by the extension of the
metro to Laval, gave rise to a 28% increase in service, faster trips
and more direct bus routes.
- The frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends,
has doubled on 12 lines since August 2009.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use
public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays
may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and
under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 -
Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a
first in Québec.
- The STL is financing Éco Mobile à Laval, a major operation by Vélo
Québec and aimed at promoting alternate solutions to car use.
- It is also partnering with the Association québécoise de lutte contre
la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network to
promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL has its own page on Facebook, where it announces service
notices, and it is also on Twitter.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on MySTL to receive
notices on its bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system,
the STL's on-time performance has been on the rise, to over 92%.
- In February 2010, STL President Jean-Jacques Beldié received the Guy-
Chartrand award, in the Public Transit Development and Improvement
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Director, Communications & Marketing, Société de transport de Laval, 450 662-5429, email@example.com