LAVAL, QC, June 28, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - All throughout the year, the Société de transport de Laval (STL) offers a very advantageous fare policy for families. On weekends and holidays, children under 12 years of age have free access to the bus network if accompanied by an adult paying his or her own regular fare.
The STL celebrates summer vacations in a big way, with its free transportation policy all week long between July 1 and September 3: Children under age 12 may travel for free when accompanying an adult paying his or her own regular fare. And this policy applies to all families, whether or not they live in Laval. So this summer, you may travel around with your family aboard STL buses at very little cost.
And that's not all! Children registered at a Laval day camp may also travel free of charge, throughout the STL's network, when accompanied by their camp leader.
These fare measures are designed to promote public transit so that people will ultimately learn to use it and, in changing their habits, will contribute toward significantly reducing greenhouse gases.
With the same intent in mind, the STL drops its fare to just $1 when an official smog warning is in effect.
No other carrier does as much to improve the air quality and families' quality of life.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20-million runs annually.
- The STL has rolled out its STLSynchro system, which informs transit users, in real time, about bus schedules and progress along the routes.
- The overhaul of its bus network, made necessary by the extension of the metro to Laval, gave rise to a 32% increase in service, faster trips, more direct bus routes and a greater frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends.
- The STL has also joined forces with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network, to promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL is registered on Twitter and has its own page on Facebook, where it announces service notices.
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on My STL in order to receive notices on the bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system, the STL's on-time performance rates continue to improve, and to date, it has succeeded in achieving rates of over 92%.
- The STL has received a number of awards of distinction, including one from the AQTR in 2010: the Grand Prix for excellence in mass transit, positioning it as an outstanding corporation.
- In 2011, the STL was honoured with the AQTR's general public communication award for its Smog Alert program.
- A new program—STL Sustainable Mobility Solution—was launched in May 2012. This program is designed for organizations concerned with finding ways of more efficiently managing their employees' commuting.
- In may 2012, the STL was honoured with the 2012 Corporate Leadership Award in the Innovation category, for its CLIC carpooling project with electric vehicles.
For further information:
Director, Communications & Marketing
Société de transport de Laval