MINI celebrates a decade in Canada.
TORONTO, March 21, 2012 /CNW/ -
Did you know…
- …MINI launched in Canada on March 22, 2002?
- The unforgettable vehicle brand is celebrating its 10-year anniversary in the great white north.
- For the past decade, MINI has brought Canadians a touch of nostalgic British flare with a cheeky, never-shy line-up of MINI models with marketing campaigns to match.
- …MINI started in Canada with only one model - the beloved MINI Hatch?
- Since then, the MINI line-up has grown to include six unique models:
| 1. MINI Hatch
2. MINI Clubman
3. MINI Convertible
You likely already knew about these models.
| 4. MINI Countryman - The 4-door, 4-wheel drive MINI introduced in 2010.
5. MINI Coupé - The sporty two-seat MINI introduced in 2011.
6. MINI Roadster - The all-new, two-seater MINI convertible just introduced.
- …The first MINIs available in Canada were only available with a manual transmission?
- This enabled MINI to demonstrate its performance orientation.
- No matter the model, a MINI has always been consistent in offering one memorable and remarkable trait: go-kart-like handling.
- …MINI is well-known for its cheeky ad campaigns? Do you remember:
- 2002: The MINI Hatch hanging from the side of a building in Toronto trailing tire tracks in the shape of the Union Jack?
- 2003: The campaign that put MINI vehicles in cages and asked people not to "feed, tease or annoy the MINI."
- 2007: The "Let There be Xenon" campaign that aimed to generate awaress of the vehicle's new headlights by placing a MINI on the side of a building and pointing the headlights skyward? This campaign was so successful it actually had to be taken down because it was distracting pilots.
- …MINI has enjoyed tremendous success in Canada?
- Since its launch in 2002, MINI sales have skyrocketed, surpassing the 5,000 annual-unit milestone for the first time in 2011.
- In 2012, the year of its 10 anniversary, the brand expects to sell its 40,000th unit in Canada.
- MINI's retail network has also expanded since its arrival in Canada, from 15 MINI retailers in 2002 to 29 MINI retailers in 2012.
- …MINI has never been one to keep things to itself? (Remember the 2003 "Cops Hide Here" billboard campaign?)
- This birthday won't be any different. Get your party hat on and keep your eyes peeled because these celebrations will be anything but mini.
BMW Group in Canada
BMW Group Canada, based in Richmond Hill, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW AG and is responsible for the distribution of BMW luxury performance automobiles, Sports Activity Vehicles, Motorcycles, and MINI. BMW Group Financial Services Canada is a division of BMW Group Canada and offers retail financing and leasing programs and protection products on new and pre-owned BMW and MINI automobiles, as well as retail financing for new and pre-owned BMW Motorcycles. A total network of 44 BMW automobile retail centres, 20 BMW motorcycle retailers, and 29 MINI retailers represents the BMW Group across the country.
For further information:
Kyle Verge, Corporate Communications
905-428-5036 / email@example.com