LONGUEUIL, QC, Oct. 1, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI) would like to advise road users that a section of the Bonaventure Expressway will be completely closed this weekend, in order to proceed with the second phase change (phase two to phase three) as part of the major rehabilitation work carried out this year.
This closure is necessary to complete concreting of the expansion joints and the concrete deck as well as paving for the second phase, extending over four spans.
Traffic will be very heavy during this period, mainly on Saturday around 10 p.m. after the Canadien game, and road users are encouraged to avoid this section of the Bonaventure Expressway in favour of the Jacques Cartier Bridge or the A-15 via the A-720 West.
Traffic will be especially difficult towards the Champlain Bridge throughout the weekend as well as towards downtown Montreal in the evening on Sunday.
Roads neighbouring the Bonaventure Expressway will also be very busy during the weekend.
- Complete closure of the Bonaventure Expressway towards the Champlain Bridge from Friday, October 4, at 10:00 p.m., to Monday, October 7, at 5:00 a.m.
As of Friday at 9:00 p.m., this hindrance will result in:
- The closure of two access ramps to the Bonaventure Expressway towards the Champlain Bridge (entrance via Nazareth Street [closed from Wellington] and entrance via the A-720 West)
- The closure of the exit ramp towards Marc-Cantin Street.
Road users are invited to use the detours set up along Montreal streets (via Nazareth, Wellington, Bridge, Irish, Marc-Cantin, and Carrie-Derrick Streets).
- Complete closure of the Bonaventure Expressway towards downtown Montreal from Sunday, October 6, at 8:00 p.m., to Monday, October 7, at 5:00 a.m.
As of Sunday at 7:00 p.m., this hindrance will result in:
- The closure of two access ramps to the Bonaventure Expressway towards downtown Montreal (access ramps via Marc-Cantin Street and Chemin des Moulins).
Road users are invited to use the detours starting from Exit 2 of the Bonaventure Expressway for Pierre-Dupuy Avenue (Exit 2, Chemin Rdes Moulins, Riverside, Mill, De la Commune West, McGill, Viger Ave. West, and University).
- Complete closure of Exit 4 of the Bonaventure Expressway towards the A-15 North and South from Friday, October 4, at 10:00 p.m., to Monday, October 7, at 5:00 a.m.
This closure is necessary to install new beams on Viaduct V (Exit 60 of the A-15 South towards Verdun), which is currently being reconstructed.
Phase three lane configuration
Once this weekend's work is completed, the third phase of work on the Bonaventure Expressway will not require the closure of access and exit ramps. Two lanes will be kept open to traffic in each direction during this phase.
This work is part of the major rehabilitation program of the federal section of the Bonaventure Expressway, which started in 2010 and allows for the annual rehabilitation of one of the raised sections of this stretch of the expressway.
The 2013 rehabilitation work will be carried out in four phases and is expected to be completed over the winter. During this intensive work, an entire section totalling four spans of the Bonaventure Expressway will be reconstructed, including beams, the slab, expansion joints, paving and marking, as well as the rehabilitation of piers and pier caps.
It is very important to note that this work is subject to weather conditions and may be postponed until another weekend in the event of adverse weather.
To follow our work, we invite you to visit www.champlainbridge.ca.
SOURCE: The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated
For further information:
The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI)
Office: 450 651-8771, ext. 232
Cell: 514 249-1940
The Federal Bridge Corporation
Tel.: 450 468-5775