TORONTO, Oct. 11, 2018 /CNW/ - BMO Financial Group today joined worldwide celebrations for the 2018 International Day of the Girl. In its role as the Executive Sponsor of the 2018 International Day of the Girl initiative led by Plan International, BMO is reinforcing its ongoing commitment to fostering female leaders of tomorrow.
"Today and every day, BMO stands with all young women who dream of stepping up and stepping into a future that is fair and limitless," said Catherine Roche, Head of Marketing and Strategy, BMO Financial Group. "As part of our unwavering commitment to furthering the success of women both within our BMO team, our customers and our communities, we are proud to support the International Day of the Girl."
Throughout the month of September, seven BMO executives, including BMO CEO Darryl White, shared their role with Girl Ambassadors from Plan International, between the ages of 14-24 years. The Girl Ambassadors stepped into the shoes of BMO leaders for a day, and gained hands-on experience contributing to business discussions, participating in meetings and interacting with stakeholders. To hear the inspirational stories of the girl ambassadors, please visit www.bmoforwomen.com
To continue the celebration of the International Day of the Girl and raise awareness of the importance of gender equality, BMO is proud to have hosted two Plan International Canada girl statues at its First Canadian Place offices. The statues depicting young women from diverse backgrounds are now on display at the Toronto Eaton Centre until October 12.
"It is critical for girls and young women to be able to see themselves in leadership positions and at the decision-making table," says Caroline Riseboro, President and CEO of Plan International Canada. "We couldn't be prouder of BMO's partnership in our 2018 International Day of the Girl activities. They've demonstrated their commitment to amplify girls' power and potential, and have joined our movement to defy normal for girls everywhere."
BMO believes that everyone is responsible for creating an inclusive culture. The company supports initiatives to empower women within our workforce, and the communities we serve. Key initiatives and highlights include:
- In 2018, BMO announced it is making $3 billion in capital available over the next three years for Canadian businesses owned by women, which will also create new jobs and strengthen communities
- 40 percent of BMO's senior leadership roles are held by women
- BMO Celebrating Women is an annual community program running across Canada and in the US that recognizes and honours local women and their impact on Community and Philanthropic Giving, Business Growth, and Innovation & Leadership
- BMO offers educational tools such as its website, www.bmoforwomen.com and a podcast series Her Money, Her Way, to help inform women on a wide array of relevant topics
- BMO partners with organizations such as the Women's Presidents Organization, GrowYourBiz, #movethedial and Women Get On Boards, to support development of women leaders and business owners
- BMO is participating in the Women Deliver 2019 Mobilization Consortium to drive Canadian awareness of the world's largest gender equality conference – Women Deliver 2019 – being held in Vancouver in June 2019
- Bloomberg recognized BMO as one of the top ranked Financial Institutions for gender equality
- BMO is one of just nine companies globally to receive a Catalyst Award for promoting gender diversity twice and, in 2018, two senior leaders were named Catalyst Canada Honours Champions – BMO was the sole Canadian financial institution recognized
About BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider - the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $765 billion as of July 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
About Plan International Canada
Plan International Canada is a member of a global organization dedicated to advancing children's rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries.
We are calling on all Canadians to Defy Normal: to believe in the power and potential of every child and to take a stand anywhere children are oppressed, exploited or left behind and anywhere girls aren't equally valued.
Together, we can create a world where all unleash their full potential.
About International Day of the Girl
In 2009, Plan International Canada led an extensive two-year campaign that engaged thousands of Canadians in a call for an International Day of the Girl as part of Because I am a Girl, a global initiative to end gender inequality and recognize girls' rights as human rights. In December 2011, with unanimous all-party support, the Canadian government led the United Nations to officially declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girl. Visit plancanada.ca/day-of-the-girl to learn more.
SOURCE BMO Financial Group
For further information: Media Contacts: Julie Smithers, Toronto - firstname.lastname@example.org | 416-867-3996