BLUE MOUNTAINS, ON, Dec. 12, 2012 /CNW/ - The 2012/13 winter season at Blue Mountain kicked off today, Wednesday, December 12, 2012 as Ontario's largest ski resort opened the mountain to eager winter enthusiasts.
To kick-off the season, lift ticket rates are $19.00 + HST December 12-14, 2012 with Night Skiing scheduled to start on December 13, 2012. For skiers and snowboarders waiting for snow and colder temperatures to arrive before purchasing a Pass, now is a great time to get the popular 5x7® Pass at the discounted Anniversary Price of $259+HST - prices increase every Monday at 12 a.m. until January 6, 2013. Double Down Cards are also on sale until December 13, 2012 and are a great holiday gift option. Visit bluemountain.ca/passes for details.
"It's no secret that Mother Nature didn't cooperate last season, and as a result we got off to a late start," said Paul Pinchbeck, Director, Marketing, Blue Mountain Resort. "This year we're ahead of schedule stockpiling snow and building our base for the season. With a promising long-term forecast, we're looking forward to the return of winter and another great season at Blue."
The opening is attributed to a combination of colder temperatures, hard work by all Blue Mountain staff and an improved snowmaking system. Snowmaking upgrades increased the Resort's total snowmaking capacity by approximately 10 per cent, and improved its ability to make more snow at warmer temperatures - as high as -2°C.
As Ontario's only Mountain Village Resort, Blue Mountain has the province's widest selection of on and off-hill activities including the Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster and Plunge! Aquatic Centre. The Village has activities throughout December, including Family Fireworks every Saturday night, shopping, dining and night life. For winter enthusiasts looking for a quick getaway, Blue Mountain has great early-season accommodation packages including the Early Season Stay & Ski package starting from $99.00*/night/person + HST/VAF based upon double occupancy in a Village Studio Suite. The Westin Trillium House has packages starting from $120.00*/night/person + HST/VAF based upon double occupancy in a Deluxe Guest Room.
*Some restrictions apply. Visit bluemountain.ca and/or westinbluemountain.com for full details.
Find the latest snow and conditions update at www.bluemountain.ca. Real time updates will also be posted on Blue Mountain's social channels:
The Blue Mountain Snow Phone is updated daily at 6:30 a.m. - dial 877.445.0231
New for 2012/13 Winter Season:
- Snowmaking: Blue Mountain has Canada's largest and most powerful snowmaking system and new upgrades improve the Resort's total snowmaking capacity by approximately 10 per cent, and increase its ability to make more snow at warmer temperatures - as high as -2°C.
- Badlands Terrain Park: New upgrades to the Badlands terrain park feature a new and improved all-snow superpipe. Once built, the superpipe will also be in a new location on the south end of the terrain park (beside the Apple Bowl trail). This change in location creates more space for the creation of new jump and rail lines. With emphasis on progression, a new fleet of rails will be installed, with some old favourites returning, to create a whole new riding experience this season. Snowmaking in the terrain park has also been upgraded.
- Groomers: Addition of two new state-of-the-art Prinoth Groomers to further establish our fleet as one of Canada's largest.
- Events: New this year as part of Pepsi March Break Madness we will be hosting the SNOW Media showcase, a collaboration of photography, film and art from inspiring individuals who embrace the outdoor lifestyle. Check out our full winter events lineup at bluemountain.ca/events
- Blue Mountain Inn Renovations: The final phase of renovations in the historic Blue Mountain Inn are scheduled to be completed by 2013. The completely remodeled rooms provide a fresh new look and feel, and establish the Inn as one of the area's most comfortable, modern and affordable lodging options.
- Village Accommodations Refurbishments: Blue Mountain's luxurious Village accommodations continue to undergo refurbishments to both design and in-room accessories.
About Blue Mountain Resort
Blue Mountain, Ontario's largest mountain resort is nestled on the shores of Georgian Bay, located 90 minutes north of Toronto. Winter at the resort boasts 36 ski and snowboard trails enhanced by a world-class snowmaking system. Summer months offer the largest downhill mountain biking facility in Ontario, Monterra Golf course, Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster, Cascade Putting Course, Ropes Courses and a private beach property among other seasonal attractions. Year-round the resort attracts visitors to more than 1,000 luxury accommodation units and 45 unique concept restaurants, bars and retail stores in our pedestrian Village. 37,500 square feet of state-of-the-art conference space caters year-round to corporate meeting groups. Blue Mountain is 50% owned by Intrawest ULC. Visit www.bluemountain.ca for more information.
Video with caption: "Video: Blue Mountain Resort near Collingwood, Ontario opens for the season". Video available at: http://stream1.newswire.ca/cgi-bin/playback.cgi?file=20121212_C8431_VIDEO_EN_21896.mp4&posterurl=http://photos.newswire.ca/images/20121212_C8431_PHOTO_EN_21896.jpg&clientName=Blue%20Mountain%20Resorts%20Limited&caption=Video%3A%20Blue%20Mountain%20Resort%20near%20Collingwood%2C%20Ontario%20opens%20for%20the%20season&title=BLUE%20MOUNTAIN%20RESORTS%20LIMITED%20%2D%20Blue%20Mountain%20Opens%20for%20the%202012%2F13%20Winter%20Season&headline=Blue%20Mountain%20Opens%20for%20the%202012%2F13%20Winter%20Season
Image with caption: "Eager winter enthusiasts wait for the first chairlift of the year at Blue Mountain Resort near Collingwood, Ontario today, December 12, 2012. (CNW Group/Blue Mountain Resorts Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121212_C8431_PHOTO_EN_21894.jpg
Image with caption: "Slopes open for the season at Blue Mountain Resort near Collingwood, Ontario on December 12, 2012 (CNW Group/Blue Mountain Resorts Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121212_C8431_PHOTO_EN_21895.jpg
SOURCE: Blue Mountain Resorts Limited
For further information: