HAINES JUNCTION, YK, June 29, 2017 /CNW/ - The governments of Canada and Yukon are committed to investing in modern and efficient infrastructure that supports local economic opportunities, which goes hand in hand with improving the quality of life for those living and working in the North.
Today, the Honourable Larry Bagnell, Member of Parliament for Yukon, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Richard Mostyn, Minister of Highways and Public Works, on behalf of the Honourable John Streicker, Minister of Community Services, announced joint funding of over $6.1 million for two projects in Haines Junction. The federal government is providing up to 75 per cent of funding for these projects—over $4.6 million. The territorial government is providing up to 25 per cent of funding for these projects—just over $1.5 million of total eligible costs.
Thanks to this investment, residents of Haines Junction will benefit from water and wastewater upgrades throughout the community. These projects are essential to keeping Canada's waterways clean and our communities healthy and livable.
This investment is part of an agreement between Canada and Yukon for the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF) reached in June 2016, which represents $52,280,275 in federal funding.
"Investing in local water and wastewater infrastructure is essential to maintaining a healthy environment and providing residents with access to clean, reliable drinking water. Along with its territorial partner, the Government of Canada is pleased to support important projects, like those in Haines Junction, which ensure that northern communities are healthy and sustainable now and for years to come."
The Honourable Larry Bagnell, Member of Parliament for Yukon, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
"The foundation of a healthy, sustainable community is clean drinking water and effective sewage treatment facilities. We are pleased the Government of Canada is partnering with us in building water and sewer infrastructure to improve the lives of Haines Junction residents."
The Honourable Richard Mostyn, Minister of Highways and Public Works, Government of Yukon
On behalf of the Honourable John Streicker, Minister of Community Services
- Haines Junction Water and Wastewater Upgrades:
- The Government of Canada is contributing up to $4.5 million under CWWF to this project and the Government of Yukon is providing up to $1.5 million.
- Haines Junction Well Head Protection:
- The Government of Canada is contributing up to $112,500 under CWWF to this project and the Government of Yukon is providing up to $37,500.
- The Government of Canada will provide more than $180 billion in infrastructure funding over 12 years for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, transportation that supports trade, and Canada's rural and northern communities.
- Budget 2017 committed $21.9 billion for investments for green infrastructure. This amount includes $5 billion that will be available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.
- To meet the unique needs of rural and northern communities, Budget 2017 committed to invest $2 billion to support a broad range of infrastructure projects.
- Budget 2017 committed federal funding to build and improve infrastructure in Indigenous communities through an investment of $4 billion.
SOURCE Infrastructure Canada
For further information: Brook Simpson, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, 613-219-0149, [email protected]; Bonnie Venton Ross, Communications, Community Services, Government of Yukon, 867-332-5513, [email protected]; Infrastructure Canada, 613-960-9251, Toll free: 1-877-250-7154, Email: [email protected]