OTTAWA, Oct. 19, 2015 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) must decide whether a federal environmental assessment is required for the proposed Beaver Dam Mine Project, located in Marinette, Nova Scotia.
To assist it in making its decision, the Agency is seeking comments from the public on the project and its potential effects on the environment. All comments received will be considered public.
Written comments must be submitted by November 9, 2015 to:
Beaver Dam Mine Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
200-1801 Hollis Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3N4
Email: [email protected]
Projects subject to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach.
- The Agency is seeking public comments on the summary of the project description for the proposed Beaver Dam Mine Project.
- As a next step, the Agency will post a decision on its website stating whether an environmental assessment is required. If one is required, the public will have three more opportunities to comment on the project.
- The Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Atlantic Gold Corporation is proposing the construction, operation, decommissioning, and reclamation of an open pit gold mine in Marinette, Nova Scotia. The Beaver Dam Mine Project (the Project) would have an ore production rate of 5480 tonnes/day, over a four-year period. Ore from the Project would be crushed and transported 37 km by road to the Moose River (Touquoy) mine for processing. Components of the Project would include an open pit, a materials storage facility, mine haul roads, mine infrastructure for crushing and haul-out, and road upgrades. The Project would rely on the mined-out Touquoy Pit for wet tailings disposal.
- More information on this project is available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80111.
- Beaver Dam Mine Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
Follow us on Twitter: @CEAA_ACEE
SOURCE Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Maja Graham, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-960-1519, [email protected]