VANCOUVER, Jan. 17, 2013 /CNW/ - BCGEU members are set to begin job action in the coming days at LifeLabs facilities around B.C. LifeLabs provides laboratory testing for doctors.
The union will be in a legal position to strike at 6:00 a.m. on Monday, January 21, 2013.
Job action will target Patient Service Centres, LifeLabs' test and blood collection sites, on a rotating basis.
BCGEU members will be on strike Monday and/or Tuesday (January 21 and 22) at Lifelabs Patient Service Centres in Metro Vancouver, southern and central Vancouver Island and Nelson.
The BCGEU is urging patients to call LifeLabs prior to going for a test to ensure the Patient Service Centre is open for business that day.
BCGEU members don't take the decision to strike lightly. We're seeking a fair and reasonable settlement. The main issues are wages and employer demands for concessions.
- the last contract expired December 31, 2011
- bargaining began May 22, 2012
- bargaining took place in June, July, September and October
- BCGEU members voted 98.5 per cent in favour of job action in November 2012
- mediated talks on November 27 produced no resolution
- the BCGEU has 706 members working at LifeLabs throughout B.C.
Click here for more information: http://www.bcgeu.ca/LifeLabs121024
SOURCE: B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union
For further information:
For more information/media interviews on Thursday, January 17, please call Evan Stewart of BCGEU Communications at 604-220-3095. As of Friday, January 18, please contact Karen Tankard via email (email@example.com) or text/call at 604-312-1204.