THORNHILL, ON, Aug. 31, 2012 /CNW/ - As summer draws to a close and the classroom bell rings in the new school year, hundreds of thousands of students across Ontario will head back to school. That is why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers to keep a watchful eye out for children before and after school hours.
CAA SCO tips for drivers:
- Check for children on the sidewalk, driveway and behind your vehicle before backing up
- Slow down in school zones
- Be ready to stop at all times because children may dart out between parked vehicles
- Always try to make eye contact with kids waiting to cross the street
- Come to a complete stop for school buses when lights are flashing
- Watch for children riding a bike to school
CAA SCO tips for children:
- Stop before stepping onto the road
- Look in all directions before crossing the street
- Listen for traffic
- Walk; don't run, across the road
CAA SCO bus safety rules:
- Be at the bus stop on time and avoid running to or from the bus
- Wait for the bus in a safe place that is a good distance from the side of the road
- Use the hand rail when boarding or exiting the bus
- Keep feet out of the aisle to avoid tripping people as they enter and exit the bus
- Keep your head and arms inside the bus
- Always follow the bus driver's instructions
What better way to start the new school year than with a brand new Samsung Galaxy tablet. Enter the Smart Like a Patroller contest for a chance to win one of five Samsung Galaxy tablets or one of four $500 Petro-Canada gas cards.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Specialist, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.