THORNHILL, ON, May 14, 2014 /CNW/ - The Victoria Day long weekend is the unofficial kickoff of the road trip season. On an average May long weekend, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) receives more than 11,000 calls for roadside assistance. To avoid a break down, we recommend the following car care tips:
For drivers –
- Check your vehicle fluid levels and the air pressure in all tires, including the spare tire in your trunk.
- Replace worn or damaged windshield wiper blades.
- When in doubt, get a full mechanical inspection performed before you begin your trip.
CAA SCO received more than 5,000 requests for TripTik® route planners this May in preparation for the long weekend (May 17-19). Some of the most popular road trip spots are in Ontario, Quebec, New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.
"Quebec has grown in popularity because it's a great location for cycling vacations with more than 5,000 km of bikeways in the province," said Deborah Vahabi, Road Trips Department Supervisor, CAA SCO.
For cyclists –
- Top up the air in your tires before you hit the trail.
- Clean your brakes and ensure they are working properly.
- For video tutorials on how to get your bike road-trip ready, download the free CAA Bike Assist App.
If your long weekend plans take you outside of the province or the country, be sure to make travel insurance a part of your travel plans. OHIP coverage may not cover you outside of Ontario. Provincial health plans cover approximately 9 per cent of medical expenses when travelling outside of Canada.*
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.