NEW YORK, NY, Nov. 4, 2014 /CNW/ - Leading men's lifestyle site AskMen has unveiled Great Men Give, a comprehensive feature celebrating 49 men who have made significant contributions to the causes that define 2014. The list includes 28 high-profile celebrities – including Matt Damon, John Legend and Kevin Durant – as well as 11 business moguls – including Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Elon Musk – and finally, 10 men who, though you might not know their names, have built their careers around changing the world. All of the men of Great Men Give have selflessly donated time and money to important causes, whether democratizing education and healthcare, to helping fight disease, climate change or poverty.
"These men are wielding real influence. Leonardo DiCaprio is acting as the voice of the climate-change crisis, summoning stakeholders and fans to act fast. LeBron James is actively supporting hundreds of kids in sports, in school and in life. Pete Frates has inspired true awareness and shown how our social networks can effect change through the now-famous ALS ice bucket challenge," explains James Bassil, AskMen's publisher.
Why focus on charitable giving? As Steve Purcell, co-founder of online resource LookToTheStars.org, says, "Our research has clearly shown that celebrities drive significant support and donations to charitable causes and organizations. It's important, then, to put aside celebrity gossip and celebrate the heartfelt work these individuals do in features like Great Men Give."
Great Men Give By The Numbers
AskMen has partnered with the experts at LookToTheStars.org to compile and slice the data. Here are some key highlights from this research:
- Together, the 49 exemplary men support over 50 causes and 390 charities.
- Mark Zuckerberg is amongst the most financially impactful, having signed Bill Gates and Warren Buffett's Giving Pledge, and having donated $500M of Facebook stock to charity in 2013.
- In terms of sheer time commitment and public activity, Elton John is on top of the heap.
- Most popular causes include issues related to children/at-risk youth, poverty, disaster relief, and the environment.
- Top 3 Diversified Philanthropists (Number of Charities Endorsing): Elton John (54), Brad Pitt (39), Bono (36)
- Top 3 Veterans (Number of Years Giving): Chuck Feeney (32), Bono (28), Elton John (23)
- Top 4 popular charities (Number of Endorsers): Red Cross (12), Unicef (10), Stand Up To Cancer (6), Feeding America (6)
Celebrating 49 Men Who Made A Difference
To see the full Great Men Give feature, please visit AskMen at: www.askmen.com/specials/great_men_give.
AskMen (www.askmen.com), a unit of Ziff Davis Media, is the largest and most popular resource for men when it comes to news and advice on relationships, fitness, career, fashion, and health. AskMen attracts 18 million monthly unique visitors, worldwide. The site is published in 9 editions, 5 languages and 31 countries.
For further information: For editorial inquiries: Sophie C. Laplante, email@example.com; Verity Stevenson, firstname.lastname@example.org