Tech spending and compensation rise amid complex industry landscape
WINDSOR, Conn., July 13, 2017 /CNW/ -- SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: SSNC), a global provider of financial services software and software-enabled services, today announced the top findings from AUG The Exchange's Asset Management Operations and Compensation Study for 2017, sponsored by Investment Advisor Association and SS&C Advent. The study tracks key industry trends in technology and operations spending, as well as employee compensation across key positions.
"This year's study results point to an industry at a crossroads," said Michelle McDonough, The President of the Board of Directors for AUG The Exchange. "Strong markets are driving growth; however, a range of developments from regulatory to cybersecurity to client expectations put pressure on firm economics."
Keys Ops and Tech Findings
- Seventy-six percent of firms expect to spend more on operations and technology in 2017, with an average increase of nine percent.
- Security is a major theme, with an emphasis, not surprisingly, on cybersecurity.
- Regulatory/compliance and client relationship management are other high-ranking technology initiatives for the year.
- Also of note, the number of firms considering outsourcing certain technology and operations has climbed slowly but steadily from a year prior, as firms continue to focus on their core functions and look outside for other services.
- Hiring slowed slightly in 2016, with net new employees accounting for a 2.3% average gain in headcount, compared to 4% two years earlier.
- Despite headwinds in revenue growth, compensation continues to trend upward across most positions, with 79% of respondents saying that their compensation increased.
- Productivity has increased, balancing compensation gains. Yet, firms are still looking to gain more scale as activities like reconciliation and reporting still require significant time (on average, 40 hours a month on reconciliation and 50 hours per quarter on reporting).
"This year's study results show that financial technology providers like us need to continue to step up our game to help firms with today's complex industry dynamics, such as heightened compliance and security requirements and hyper competition for clients," said Robert Roley, General Manager, SS&C Advent. "Our employees rise to that challenge every day."
The full study provides comparisons according to asset size, geography, and other criteria. Firms that participated in the survey receive the full report automatically. The full results may be purchased by contacting The Exchange at [email protected]. Selected highlights are available as a webinar recording on the SS&C Advent website here.
About SS&C Technologies
SS&C is a global provider of investment and financial software-enabled services and software for the global financial services industry. Founded in 1986, SS&C is headquartered in Windsor, Connecticut and has offices around the world. Some 11,000 financial services organizations, from the world's largest institutions to local firms, manage and account for their investments using SS&C's products and services.
About AUG, The Exchange
The Exchange is a premiere industry group with benefits that include website access, hosted events throughout the country, webinars, focus group discussions, direct access and exclusive industry discounts/offers from our sponsors, and the value of networking with like-minded individuals. Founded in 1998 as a way to collaborate and exchange ideas among peers, The Exchange has since grown and adapted to have a rich history of interactions on industry related topics. For more information about The Exchange visit AUGTheExchange.org.
Additional information about SS&C (Nasdaq:SSNC) is available at www.ssctech.com.
Follow SS&C on Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook.
For further information: Patrick Pedonti, Chief Financial Officer, SS&C Technologies, Tel: +1-860-298-4738, E-mail: [email protected], or Justine Stone, Investor Relations, SS&C Technologies, Tel: +1- 212-367-4705, E-mail: [email protected]; Media Contacts - Randi Haney, PAN Communications (US), Tel: 617-502-4328, E-mail: [email protected], http://www.ssctech.com