TORONTO, Jan. 3, 2017 /CNW/ - The NMAF is excited to announce the Call for Entries for the 2017 Digital Publishing Awards, honouring excellence by Canada's digital publishers and creators in 22 awards categories. Submissions are now being accepted at digitalpublishingawards.ca and the deadline is January 31.
"In our second year as Canada's preeminent digital awards competition, the 2017 DPAs have expanded to reflect new trends and attitudes in digital publishing and content," said Nino Di Cara, president of the NMAF. "Over the past year, Canadian publishers and creators have thrilled audiences with informative and innovative digital journalism and storytelling. We are looking forward to rewarding the very best of Canada's digital creators."
Submissions are open to Canadian digital publishers and content creators whose work appeared in them during 2016. Eligible publications—including those that support established brands in magazine, newspaper, broadcast, B2B and other journalism, as well as those that serve their audiences exclusively as digital brands—is one with a permanent editorial staff in Canada and published in either English or French or a combination of both.
Awards for individual creators include a cash prize of $500.
2017 DIGITAL PUBLISHING AWARDS CATEGORIES
1. Best Digital Editorial Package
2. Best Blog or Column
3. Best News Coverage: National & International
4. Best News Coverage: Local & Provincial
5. Best Feature Article: Short (max. 2000 words)
6. Best Feature Article: Long (min. 2000 words)
7. Best Personal Essay
8. Best Arts & Culture Story
9. Best Service Feature: Lifestyle
10. Best Service Feature: Family, Health & Careers
11. Best Fashion & Beauty Story
12. Best Online Video: Short
13. Best Online Video: Feature
14. Best Online Video: Mini-Doc
15. Best Podcast
16. Best Digital Design
17. Best Social Storytelling
18. Best Digital Initiative
19. Emerging Excellence Award
20. Digital Publishing Leadership Award
21. General Excellence: Small Publications
22. General Excellence: Large Publications
WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR
After a successful inaugural year in 2016, the Digital Publishing Awards has expanded its program under the guidance of our Advisory Committee, feedback from participants and judges, and the NMAF Board of Directors.
- The top overall prize—General Excellence in Digital Publishing—will be presented in two divisions, for large and small publications.
- Other new categories include:
- Best Social Storytelling
- Best Online Video in 3 divisions:
- Short (under 2 minutes)
- Feature (2-5 minutes)
- Mini-Doc (more than 5 minutes
- Best News Coverage in 2 divisions:
- Provincial & Local
- National & International
- Best Personal Essay
- Best Arts & Culture
- Best Service Feature: Lifestyle
- Best Service Feature: Family, Health & Careers
- Best Fashion & Beauty
- Emerging Excellence Award
- Digital Publishing Leadership Award
RULES & JUDGING
For a complete guide to eligible publications and content, please see the DPA Rules.
For a complete description of judging procedures, please see the DPA Judging Process.
To nominate a colleague as a judge, please see the DPA Call for Judges.
SUBMISSIONS & DEADLINE
Submissions can be made online at digitalpublishingawards.ca.
The entry fee for most awards is $95 at the Early-Bird rate (by January 20).
The final deadline for all entries is January 31.
For sponsorship inquiries, please contact Barbara Gould, Managing Director, at [email protected] or 416-939-6200.
ABOUT THE DIGITAL PUBLISHING AWARDS
The Digital Publishing Awards promote and reward the achievements of those who create digital publishing content in Canada—the writers and editors, designers and developers, video and podcast producers, photographers and illustrators, and many others. The DPA program recognizes, celebrates and promotes to a national audience the innovative publishing teams that produce digital content in Canadian media.
The Digital Publishing Awards are produced by the National Magazine Awards Foundation, a not-for-profit, registered charity that has administered Canada's annual National Magazine Awards since 1977. With a reputation for facilitating a rigorous, fair and transparent awards program in which content creators are recognized and rewarded for outstanding achievement in magazine journalism, the NMAF is proud to present the Digital Publishing Awards in partnership with Canada's leading producers and creators of digital publishing.
SOURCE National Magazine Awards Foundation
For further information: For more information about the National Magazine Awards Foundation, please contact: Émilie Pontbriand, Communications Manager, 416.939.6200, [email protected]