Biggest day ever for Amazon devices globally
Prime Day sales in Canada more than doubled this year compared to Prime Day last year
Prime members in Canada purchased more units on Prime Day this year than Prime Day, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday 2015
Small businesses and sellers on Amazon offering deals to Prime members saw orders nearly triple year-over-year on Prime Day
SEATTLE, July 13, 2016 /CNW/ - (NASDAQ:AMZN) – The second-annual Prime Day was the biggest day ever for Amazon. Amazon today announced global customer orders surpassed Prime Day 2015 by more than 60%. It was also the biggest day ever for Amazon devices globally and a record Prime Day for each Amazon device category, including Kindle e-readers. Prime Day was also a great savings day – members globally saved more than double on deals over Prime Day 2015.
"Prime itself is the best deal in the history of shopping, and Prime Day was created as a special benefit exclusively for our Prime members," said Greg Greeley, Vice President, Amazon Prime. "We want to thank our tens of millions of members around the world for making this the biggest day in the history of Amazon. We hope you had as much fun as we did. After yesterday's results, we'll definitely be doing this again."
Prime Day 2016 highlights:
- More than two million toys and more than one million pairs of shoes were purchased by customers across the globe on Prime Day 2016.
- More than 90,000 TVs were purchased on Prime Day 2016 worldwide.
- Hundreds of thousands of Kindle e-readers sold on Prime Day globally.
- Prime Day sales in Canada more than doubled this year compared to Prime Day last year.
- Prime members in Canada purchased more units on Prime Day this year than Prime Day, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday 2015.
- Prime members in Canada purchased enough headphones this year on Prime Day to give a pair to everyone in Flin Flon, Manitoba.
- Amazon.ca sold enough "Seinfeld: The Complete Series" on Prime Day this year for someone to watch it continuously for 3.5 years.
- Amazon.ca Prime members purchased enough coffee pods on Prime Day this year to fill up a 12-ounce coffee cup for each attendee at the Rogers Centre for a sold-out Blue Jays' game.
- Amazon.ca Prime members purchased enough AmazonBasics cables and cords on Prime Day this year that, if laid end-to-end, would be longer than the Seawall at Stanley Park.
- Prime members in Canada purchased enough GoPro Session Cameras on Prime Day this year to record the entire Summer Games 24-hours a day.
- Prime members in Canada purchased enough hard drives on Prime Day this year to hold more than 50 pictures of everyone in Canada.
- In the amount of time it would take to play the games in the Deal of the Day Xbox bundle from Prime Day 2016 on Amazon.ca, the average Canadian could walk around the earth 14 times.
Fire TV Stick was Amazon's best-selling device globally. Other top sellers around the world, excluding Amazon devices, were:
- Canada: Sennheiser HD 598 Special-Edition Over-Ear Headphones
- U.S.: Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker
- U.K.: Oral-B Pro 6000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity and Smart Series
- Spain: SanDisk USB Memory Stick
- Japan: Calbee Breakfast Cereal 800 Grams
- Italy: Lexar Jumpdrive
- Germany and Austria: Tefal Jamie Oliver Frying Pan
- France and Belgium: Sun Tablettes Dish Detergent
Prime Day was another record-breaking success for the sellers and small businesses worldwide participating in the event. Small businesses and sellers on Amazon offering deals to Prime members saw orders nearly triple year-over-year on Prime Day. Feedback from Amazon.ca sellers includes:
- "Compared to our day-to-day sales on Amazon.ca over the past year, we experienced a significant increase in business on Prime Day for both our cookware and cast iron products, and we couldn't be more thrilled," said Christa Collantes, eCommerce Specialist at Zwilling Online of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Canada. "Participating in Prime Day allowed us to offer fantastic deals on sought-after items such as TruClad Cookware and Staub Cocottes, helping to generate more exposure and interest for our brands. We are very much looking forward to participating in the future."
- "We participated in Prime Day on Amazon.ca last year and it was a huge success for our business," said Ben Zhang, Vice President of Anker. "We participated in Prime Day again this year and saw a 300% spike in sales on Amazon.ca compared to a typical day, making it the best sales day for us so far in 2016!"
- "Prime Day allows us the opportunity to expand our reach to new customers and also take advantage of Prime member benefits such as free shipping, which provides incredible value to us and our shoppers," said Matthew Battah, Founder of Montreal-based Sahah Naturals. "For Prime Day this year, we offered a discounted price on PB&Me, our powdered peanut butter, which resulted in a much higher volume for us than usual, and we can't wait for next year."
- "This year was the very first time that AUKEY CA took part in Prime Day, and it was amazing," said Lu Haichuan, CEO of AUKEY. "It felt like with just the blink of an eye, our inventory had completely sold out. We hope for many more successful Prime Days with Amazon."
- "Our sales spiked significantly on Prime Day, and we saw an even higher rate than we did this past Black Friday," said Nima Ahrari, President of CanaKit in Vancouver. "We offered our CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kits at a discounted price on Amazon.ca just for Prime Day, and sold a record amount of them in just a few hours."
More to Prime
Tens of millions of Prime members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime. In Canada that includes unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items, discounted One-Day Shipping for as low as $3.99 per item, Same-Day Delivery in Toronto and Vancouver for a flat fee of $6.99 per order, 30-minute early access to select Lightning Deals, and unlimited photo storage with Prime Photos. For more information, visit www.amazon.ca/primeday.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about.
For further information: Francesca Bartolomeo, NATIONAL Public Relations, email@example.com, 416-848-1715