- Kingston, Ontario tops the annual survey
- Ontario dominates with nearly half the winning cities
- Smaller Canadian cities prove to be more romantic than largest Canadian cities
SEATTLE, WA, Feb. 7, 2012 /CNW/ - With Valentine's Day around the corner, Amazon.ca (www.amazon.ca) announces its third annual ranking of the Top 20 Most Romantic Cities in Canada. They are:
- Kingston, Ontario
- Guelph, Ontario
- Kelowna, British Columbia
- Oakville, Ontario
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- Calgary, Alberta
- Kamloops, British Columbia
- St. John's, Newfoundland
- Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Red Deer, Alberta
- Langley, British Columbia
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Burlington, Ontario
- Thunder Bay, Ontario
- Barrie, Ontario
- Brantford, Ontario
- London, Ontario
- Burnaby, British Columbia
This list was compiled by comparing sales data of romance novels, sex and relationship books, romantic comedy DVDs and Michael Bublé CDs since January 1, 2012, on a per capita basis in cities with over 80,000 residents.
A closer look at Amazon.ca's "most romantic" data reveals that:
- Sex and the (Smaller) City: Though nearly half of Canada's 20 Most Romantic Cities lie in Ontario, both Toronto and Ottawa don't rank as passionate as their less populous neighbours.
- Always a Bridesmaid: Guelph, Ontario claims the No. 2 spot on the overall most romantic list for the second consecutive year.
- Your Love is King(ston): Not simply the overall winner, but you're also most likely to curl up on the couch with both a "Rom-Com" and a Danielle Steel novel in Kingston, Ontario than in any other Canadian city.
- Bublé-ing Over: Kamloops is crowned Canada's largest buyer of Michael Bublé albums per capita, proving size (of a city) doesn't matter. Overall, British Columbia's crush on their local crooner remains at an all-time high, with five of the Top 10 Michael Bublé-loving cities within its borders.
- Prairie Love: Residents of Saskatchewan are heating things up in the living room. Both Regina and Saskatoon make the overall Top 10, keeping the flame burning, especially with date night DVDs. Red Deer, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba also place in the Top 20.
- Heartbreak City: Last year's most romantic urban centre, Victoria just barely flirts its way into the Top 5 in 2012.
- Love Struck: No one does it better in Newfoundland than the people of St. John's, whose love of love makes them the only Atlantic Canadian city on the list.
To browse Amazon.ca's selection of last-minute gift ideas for Valentine's Day - and help contribute to your city's future romantic ratings - visit http://www.amazon.ca/.
Amazon.ca (www.amazon.ca) is part of the global family of Amazon websites that have become known for great prices, selection, and convenience. Amazon.ca customers can find and discover millions of English and French books, CDs, videos, sports and outdoors products, DVDs and electronics, watches, home and garden products, as well as a vast array of software, video games, and consoles--all at everyday low prices. Amazon.ca also offers FREE Super Saver Shipping, available on orders of $25 CAD or more delivered to a single Canadian address. Amazon.ca sources products directly from Canadian publishers and distributors, ensuring a rich offering of Canadian titles and content. Features such as original editorial reviews in English and French and product recommendations help Amazon.ca customers find the right products for them among the site's broad selection.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
For further information: