Regina, Saskatchewan ranks No. 1 with the most pet-related items purchased per capita of any city in Canada
The province of Ontario holds strong with eight cities in the top 20; Prairies take the second spot with five cities in the top rankings
SEATTLE, Sept. 26, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, Amazon.ca introduced new data that reveals the top cities in Canada that pamper their pets the most. After compiling sales data of all Amazon.ca pet item sales since the launch of the Pets store in March 2013, on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents, the Top 20 Most Pampered Pets Cities in Canada are:
|1.||Regina, Saskatchewan||11.||Mississauga, Ontario|
|2.||Vancouver, British Columbia||12.||Markham, Ontario|
|3.||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan||13.||Burnaby, British Columbia|
|4.||Ottawa, Ontario||14.||Halifax, Nova Scotia|
|5.||London, Ontario||15.||Windsor, Ontario|
|6.||Edmonton, Alberta||16.||Richmond, British Columbia|
|7.||Calgary, Alberta||17.||Hamilton, Ontario|
|8.||Winnipeg, Manitoba||18.||Laval, Quebec|
|9.||Gatineau, Quebec||19.||Toronto, Ontario|
|10.||Kitchener, Ontario||20.||Surrey, British Columbia|
In taking a closer look, the Amazon.ca data reveals:
- Reigning Regina: When it comes to pampering their pets, the residents of Regina know all the tricks. The city was ranked highest for pampering their cats and aquatic animals. The city also bought the most toys overall for their pets with the Kyjen Plush Puppies Ginormous Hide-a-Squirrel being the most popular toy item.
- Dog Lovers Unite in Vancouver: While ranked second overall, locals in Vancouver love pampering their canines the most. This locale topped the list for ordering the most dog items - from automatic dog feeders to hands-free leashes and more.
- Feline Friendly Cities: Locals in Regina, followed by Edmonton and Saskatoon showed the most love for their feline friends by buying the most cat products such as cat scratching posts, laser toys and cat bedding.
- Vancouver Birds Get the Most Worms: Vancouverites are number one when it comes to pampering their feathered friends, buying the most bird-related items including bird feeders, stands and treats.
- Reptilian Richmond: When it comes to pampering their reptiles, residents of Richmond (and their reptilian pets) win. Purchasing the most reptile and amphibian products, from terrarium bowls, reptile houses and treats, local lizards, snakes and turtles are treated like reptile royalty.
- Regina and Laval Residents Know Fish Need Love too: Locals in Regina, followed by Laval were ranked highest for buying the most fish and aquatic pet items, including aquarium filters and accessories, fish food and more.
"We're committed to offering our pet-loving customers everything they need to pamper their animal companions -- from fish, to dogs, cats and amphibians," said Andrea Leigh, Senior Manager for Amazon.ca. "We know our customers love their pets and we hope those who take pride in spoiling their pets will enjoy this fun look at where some of the most devoted pet owners reside."
To browse Amazon.ca's selection of more than 180,000 Pet items - whether you're a cat, dog, bird, reptile & amphibian, or fish & aquatic animal owner - visit http://www.amazon.ca/pets.
Amazon.ca (www.amazon.ca) is part of the global family of Amazon Web sites that have become known for great prices, selection, and convenience. Amazon.ca customers can find and discover millions of English and French books, Kindle books, CDs, videos, sports and outdoors products, DVDs, electronics, watches, tools, baby, beauty, health and personal care items, home and garden, and pet products, as well as a vast array of software, video games, and consoles--all at everyday low prices. Amazon.ca offers FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime, and FREE Super Saver Shipping on qualified orders of $25 CAD or more delivered to a single Canadian address. Amazon.ca sources products directly from Canadian publishers and distributors, ensuring a rich offering of Canadian titles and content. Features such as original editorial reviews in English and French and product recommendations help Amazon.ca customers find the right products for them among the site's broad selection.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es, www.amazon.com.br, www.amazon.in and www.amazon.com.mx. As used herein, "Amazon.com," "we," "our" and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment and data center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
For further information: