Traffic Represents a Clear Challenge to Operator Legacy Services
BOSTON, Feb. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - Allot Communications Ltd. (NASDAQ: ALLT), a leading supplier of service optimization and revenue generation solutions for fixed and mobile broadband service providers worldwide, announced today that its H2, 2011 Allot MobileTrends Report shows that mobile data bandwidth usage continued its steady rise with 83% growth during the second half (H2) of 2011 based on data collected from Allot's worldwide mobile operator customers. This is the seventh MobileTrends Report to date.
Video streaming continued to show significant growth with a 88% increase, and remains the single largest application taking up bandwidth, accounting for 42% of mobile bandwidth. Although having limited impact on the total bandwidth, VoIP and Instant Messaging (VoIP & IM) have gained additional share and continue to be the fastest growing application type with a 114% increase. This data seems to be in line with the declining SMS and international voice calls revenue experienced by operators.
Main findings include:
- Mobile broadband traffic grew by 83% in the second half of the year with a CAGR of 234% during 2011.
- VoIP & IM traffic grew by 114%, perhaps substantiating recent reports on SMS and international voice calls decline.
- Video Streaming traffic continues to dominate mobile broadband, with a share of 42% of total bandwidth.
- Android Market traffic grew by a phenomenal 232%, almost four times faster than the Apple App Store, increasing its momentum to become a true Apple App Store rival.
- YouTube now accounts for 24% of the total broadband traffic; 14% of total YouTube traffic is high-definition.
- WhatsApp now accounts for 18% of the IM total bandwidth, a dramatic increase in popularity from only 3% in H1, 2011.
- Facebook messenger is an all-time 'killer app' on mobile; rising from zero to 22% of total IM traffic in just four months.
"The phenomenal growth of OTT VoIP and IM represents both a challenge and an opportunity for mobile operators," said Andrei Elefant, Allot's Vice President of Marketing and Product Management. "Intelligent, application-based data pricing is the way forward for operators, allowing them to maximize data revenues based on its true value to subscribers."
The Allot MobileTrends Report data was collected from July 1 to December 31, 2011 from leading mobile operators worldwide with a combined user base of approximately 250 million subscribers. The Report is based on anonymous data collected by using the long term reporting capabilities of Allot NetXplorer, Allot's centralized management and reporting system. The length of the collection period allows for increased accuracy in the identification of usage trends and patterns, reducing the influence of temporary events in the monitored networks.
The full Allot MobileTrends Report (complete with graphics) can be found on http://www.allot.com/MobileTrends_Report_H2_2011.html
Some terms used in this press release such as Android Market™, YouTube™, Google™, Apple® and Facebook® are trademarks of their respective owners.
About Allot Communications
Allot Communications Ltd. (NASDAQ: ALLT) is a leading provider of intelligent IP service optimization and revenue generation solutions for fixed and mobile broadband operators and large enterprises. Allot's rich portfolio of solutions leverages Dynamic Actionable Recognition Technology (DART) to transform pipes into smart networks that can rapidly and efficiently deploy value added Internet services. Allot's scalable, carrier-grade solutions provide the visibility, topology awareness, security, application control and subscriber management that are vital to managing Internet service delivery, enhancing user experience, containing operating costs, and maximizing revenue in broadband networks.
For further information:
Allot Communications Contact:
Director of Marketing
Tel: +1-404-266-2060 x507