OTTAWA, Feb. 16, 2018 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is advising Canadians that GlaxoSmithKline Inc. is voluntarily recalling one lot of Ventolin Diskus inhalers (lot 786G) because the products may not deliver the intended dose. Individuals who do not receive the intended dose may not be aware that the dose was not delivered.
Ventolin Diskus is a prescription drug used in adults and children 4 years or older to relieve and prevent bronchospasm due to asthma, chronic bronchitis and other chronic lung disorders. Bronchospasm is a sudden worsening of shortness of breath and wheezing. Ventolin Diskus is also used to prevent exercise-induced bronchospasm.
If individuals do not receive the therapeutic dose as expected, their symptoms (cough, wheeze, breathlessness or tight chest) may get worse over time and they can suffer serious health consequences, including a potentially life-threatening asthma attack.
Who is affected
- Consumers who use the affected product
- Ventolin Diskus (200 mcg salbutamol per blister (60 Dose) (DIN 02243115)
Lot 786G, Expiry 05 2019
What consumers should do
- If you have an inhaler from the affected lot, return it to the pharmacy for a replacement.
- If you have questions or concerns about the recall, contact GlaxoSmithKline Inc. (GSK) via Stericycle (which is managing the recall on GSK's behalf) by calling, toll-free, 1-888-714-5077.
- Individuals who are experiencing continued symptoms after using their Ventolin Diskus should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada will monitor the company's recall. Should Health Canada become aware of additional safety information, it will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
GlaxoSmithKline Inc. has advised Health Canada that it is conducting the recall after identifying a manufacturing issue with the affected lot that may result in a small number of devices not delivering the full number of doses.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709