OTTAWA, Aug. 10, 2017 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is advising Canadians that the unauthorized pre-workout supplement "Psychotic" by "Insane Labz" may pose serious health risks. Health Canada laboratory testing found high levels of caffeine and other stimulant ingredients (hordenine, huperzine and arecoline) not listed on the label. The product was sold by retailers in Ontario and Quebec.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used "Psychotic" by Insane Labz
- "Psychotic" by Insane Labz
What consumers should do
- Stop using this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used it and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check whether products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
High levels of caffeine and the other stimulant ingredients found in the product (hordenine, huperzine and arecoline) can cause serious side effects ranging from dizziness, tremors, headaches and irregularities in heart rate to seizures, psychosis, heart attacks and stroke. In addition, caffeine consumption by pregnant women is linked to a variety of negative birth outcomes such as spontaneous abortion, pre-term delivery, birth defects, and delayed fetal growth or delayed development following birth.
What Health Canada is doing
At Health Canada's request, the distributor, Nutri-Genics, has confirmed that it has stopped selling the product. Health Canada requested that the company initiate a recall. Should additional retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
For more information
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
To learn more about natural health products and other self-care products, visit Canada.ca/selfcare-products.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709