OTTAWA, Nov. 16, 2018 /CNW/ -
Health Canada seized "21st Century DHEA" because it is labelled to contain dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a controlled substance that may pose serious health risks. "21st Century DHEA " is an unauthorized health product promoted to provide "support for the immune system, mental well-being & energy levels."
The product was seized from Alternate Root Organics (16 Athabasca Street West) in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used this product.
- 21st Century DHEA capsules
What consumers should do
- Stop using this product. Consult your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Read the label of the products you buy to verify that they have been assessed by Health Canada for safety, effectiveness and quality. Health products that have been authorized for sale by Health Canada will have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), a Homeopathic Medicine Number (DIN-HM) or a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label.
- Report any health product adverse events or complaints to Health Canada.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized the unauthorized product. Health Canada will take additional action if further unauthorized products or suppliers are identified, including informing consumers as needed.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a controlled substance that can cause higher-than-normal levels of female and male hormones in the body and could increase the risk of prostate, breast, ovarian and other hormone-sensitive cancers. Potential side effects include serious cardiovascular disease, changes in fertility and sperm production. DHEA should be avoided by individuals with a history of abnormal heart rhythms, blood clotting disorders, liver disease and those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls.
Également disponible en français
SOURCE Health Canada
For further information: Media Enquiries: Health Canada, (613) 957-2983, email@example.com; Public Enquiries: (613) 957-2991, 1-866 225-0709