OTTAWA, June 21, 2012 /CNW/ -
"Natural Vigor Maximum" (Exemption Number: 138273) has been removed from sale from various retail outlets in Ontario after testing by Health Canada identified a hidden ingredient (dimethylhomosildenafil) that may pose serious risks to the health of Canadians.
Who is affected:
Canadians using "Natural Vigor Maximum," particularly individuals with heart problems, those at risk of stroke or those taking any nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine). The product was sold by distributor Magic Health Food Corporation at Magic Health (Toronto), Herb Vitamin (Mississauga) and Smart Natural Health Products Inc. (Markham), as well as through its website. As of June 19, 2012, Health Canada has not received any adverse reactions reports associated with the use of this product.
| What consumers should do:
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada is monitoring the voluntary recall by Magic Health Food Corporation.
As "Natural Vigor Maximum" was manufactured in Canada by Professional Botanicals Inc., these products may have been sold in additional retail locations.
Natural Vigor Maximum was marketed for increasing sexual energy and performance.
Dimethylhomosildenafil is similar to the drug sildenafil, a prescription medication that should only be used under the supervision of a health care practitioner. Products containing sildenafil should never be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (e.g. nitroglycerine) as it can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure.
Individuals with heart problems including high blood pressure, a history of heart attack, stroke, abnormal heart beat or chest pain are at higher risk of cardio-vascular side effects if they engage in sexual activity, including if they use sildenafil to help them achieve an erection. Other possible side-effects of using sildenafil include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision and hearing loss.
For more information:
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
How to report side effects to health products:
To report suspected adverse reaction to these or other health products, please contact Health Canada's Canada Vigilance Program toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and send to us using one of these methods:
- Fax: 1-866-678-6789
- Internet: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
- Mail: Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Ottawa, ON, Address Locator 0701E
Related Health Canada Web content:
- Advisory (March 12, 2012): "Power-X" Removed from Sale at BC's Chong Kun Dang Health Store: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians
- Advisory (February 23, 2012): "Seizure of Potentially Dangerous Products at Ontario's The Love Shop
- Advisory (January 23, 2012): Unauthorized Products Removed from Sale at Additional Stores in Burnaby, B.C.
- Advisory (July 6, 2011): 14 Additional Unauthorized Health Products Tested: May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (July 4, 2011): "Man Up Now" Removed From Sale at Delta and Surrey Stores: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians
- Advisory (June 14, 2011): Unauthorized Health Products Removed From Sale at Burnaby and Richmond Stores: May Pose Serious Health Risks to Canadians
- Advisory (July 13, 2010): Unapproved Health Product "UP Ultimate Performance For Men" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (March 8, 2010): Unapproved Health Product, "POWER-MAX" May Pose Serious Health Risks
- Advisory (January 8, 2010) - Canadians Advised Not to use "Stiff Nights" or Any Unauthorized Product Promoted for Erectile Dysfunction
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using these social media tools: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/home-accueil/sm-ms/index-eng.php
For further information:
Également disponible en français