A grade 8/secondary 2 class will win an all-expenses-paid trip to Parks Canada places in historic Québec City and to the spectacular La Mauricie National Park
OTTAWA, Oct. 16, 2014 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, announced the continuation of Canada's Coolest School Trip for the current school year. This amazing contest offers a once-in-a-lifetime trip for a whole class to visit Parks Canada places – this year to the beautiful province of Québec. The school year may have just begun... but it will end with a bang for one lucky class that will head on Canada's Coolest School Trip in June 2015!
The Canada's Coolest School Trip contest, in its fourth year, invites grade 8/secondary 2 classes across the country to submit a video for a chance to win an all-expense-paid voyage to the stunning La Mauricie National Park and to historic sites of Québec City, including Lévis Forts, the Fortifications, Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux, Montmorency Park, the Québec Garrison Club and Artillery Park Heritage Site.
To enter the contest, grade 8/secondary 2 classes must pick a Parks Canada place that they feel is extraordinary and create a one-minute video that demonstrates why their chosen place is significant to Canadians. Contest entries will be accepted online at www.myparkspass.ca until February 23, 2015. There will be a public voting period in March, followed by final judging and an announcement of the winning class the first week of April.
The grand prize trip will take place during the first week of June. Students will canoe the breathtaking waters of La Mauricie National Park, hike to thundering waterfalls located deep inside the park and glimpse the many species of wildlife that call this park home. The students will also travel back in time to live the life of a solider at Lévis Forts National Historic Site, dine as members of high society at the exclusive Québec Garrison Club National Historic Site and explore the rich history of the only remaining fortified city north of Mexico.
School takes on a whole new meaning when you can do it in the middle of a pristine national park and within the walls of a fort that helped shape our country. May the competition begin!
- Parks Canada is supporting Canada's National Conservation Plan by taking concrete action to connect Canadians to nature and building a "community of stewards" among Canadians of all ages through programs such as My Parks Pass.
- Canada's Coolest School Trip is a contest offered through the My Parks Pass program. This program strives to promote lasting relationships between young Canadians and Canada's treasured places by inviting youth to experiences Parks Canada places first-hand.
- My Parks Pass is a collaborative program between Parks Canada, Canadian Geographic Education, Canadian Wildlife Federation, Nature Canada and Historica Canada.
- Once again this year, Air Canada and Church & Dwight Canada Corp., the makers of ARM & HAMMERTM are proud partners of Canada's Coolest School Trip contest.
- Three runner-up local field trips will also be awarded, as well as gift packages for five honorable mentions.
- For additional information and for the full contest rules and conditions, or to view the video entries, visit www.myparkspass.ca.
"Our Government is committed to giving our youth the opportunity to interact with and experience Canada's rich natural heritage. In its fourth year, Canada's Coolest School Trip will offer a class the exceptional chance to experience nature and relive history with a trip to some of Quebec's most amazing destinations."
The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq
Minister of Environment and Minister Responsible for Parks Canada
SOURCE: Parks Canada
For further information: Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Media Relations, Parks Canada, 1-855-862-1812, www.twitter.com/parkscanada