QUÉBEC CITY, March 12, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - After two years of work, the Québec City Convention Centre will be dedicating its new meeting and conference facilities today, the result of a $36 million investment by the Québec government. Attending tonight's event will be Agnès Maltais, Minister of Labour, Minister of Employment and Social Solidarity, and Minister responsible for the Capitale-Nationale region, and Québec City mayor Régis Labeaume. Some 250 leaders from Québec City area business, political, tourism, and community circles will be the first to see these modern new state-of-the-art facilities notable for their welcoming and functional design.
Each year, major events at the Convention Centre generate nearly $100 million in economic spinoffs and more than 150,000 overnight stays at area hotels. Events in these new meeting facilities will generate at least $19 million in additional economic spinoffs for the area.
"We would like to thank the Québec government for its trust in the Centre's team in according a grant of $36 million for the new expanded facilities, and would also like to thank the Québec City area tourism industry. These new multipurpose facilities will provide an immediate boost of tens of thousands of dollars in economic spinoffs and add nearly 30,000 overnight hotel stays," explained Québec City Convention Centre board president Alain April.
"Since it opened its doors in 1996, the Convention Centre has strived to stand out from the competition through its creativity, expertise, and highly customer-centric approach. With these modern new multipurpose facilities, the Québec City Convention Centre will quickly become the #1 choice of Canadian clients and attract bigger events, bolstering the economy of the entire Québec City area," added April.
About the new facilities:
- 2,000-delegate capacity, depending on setup
- 62,290 sq. ft (5,786 m2) of usable space
- 21,173 sq. ft. (1,967 m2) of preconference space
- 22,874 sq. ft. (2,125 m2) of meeting room space
- 8 modular meeting rooms
- Urban space adjacent to a terrace with a view of Old Québec
- Executive client lounge adjacent to a 26-seat conference room
- Public hall for traffic flow and access to Convention Centre entrances
- 2 large exhibition halls with access via a fully renovated public hall
- Concierge desk and business centre
- New stairs connecting the Convention Centre's main hall to the public hall featuring the Chantal Séguin piece D'un lieu à l'autre
- 4 screen walls, including 1 with 18 46-in. screens in the public hall and 3 other walls with 9 46-in. screens in the foyer
Cost of work
- $36 million: $4.3 million to purchase space from the Place Québec shopping centre and $31.7 million for buildout
Construction manager/General contractor:
- Société québécoise des infrastructures (SQI)
- CIMA+ and WSP (mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering)
- Consortium of Lemay & Michaud and ABCP (architectural concept)
- Pomerleau, construction management
SOURCE: Société du Centre des congrès de Québec
For further information: Ann Cantin, Director, Communications and Marketing, Québec City Convention Centre, 418 649-7711, ext. 4054, firstname.lastname@example.org