- 98 per cent of Canadian drivers feel they are polite drivers, yet they say others don't have the same manners via @Kanetix – Click to Tweet
- Canadian drivers appear to be much less polite than they think they are via @Kanetix – Click to Tweet
TORONTO, July 5, 2016 /CNW/ - According to a recent Kanetix.ca survey, 98% of Canadian drivers feel they are polite when it comes to driving, yet few are actually witnessing other motorists demonstrating those same manners behind the wheel.
"Canadians seem to be overstating their own level of politeness," said Janine White, VP, Marketplace, Kanetix.ca. "There is a huge disconnect between how we think we are behaving and what is actually being seen on the roads."
The biggest perception-busters include:
- Yielding to pedestrians or cyclists (only 12% of respondents see other drivers doing this, while 78% say they always do it)
- Waving or expressing thanks when someone lets you in their lane (just 9% see other drivers doing this, 77% say they always do, and interestingly enough only one-third – or 32% - actually say they allow others to merge)
- Following closely if a car is going too slowly in front of you (15% see other drivers doing this, but only 2% admit to doing it)
- Not signalling a turn, or signalling at the very last minute (21% see other drivers doing this, but just 1% per cent admit to it)
Drivers are taking notice of others' driving behaviours, but it seems they may not be admitting to doing the same things themselves. Being mindful of your own manners is important. An action that may just be considered impolite could easily cross the line into an unsafe or bad driving habit.
Calmer and safer drivers reduce their chances of getting a ticket, getting into a collision and facing the inevitable increase in car insurance. Even one ticket can have a significant and negative impact on your premiums. Don't let an impolite driving habit turn into something bigger.
Visit Kanetix.ca for more survey results and details on the key findings.
About the Survey
The survey was conducted online in June 2016 with a nationally representative sample of 1000 Canadians. A sample of this size is accurate to within +/-3 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.
Launched in October 1999, KANETIX was Canada's first online insurance marketplace and today provides over a million quotes per year to consumers looking for insurance, as well as comparisons for mortgage rates and credit cards.
The KANETIX.ca comparison service is a one-stop shopping environment for consumers. Each day, thousands visit the KANETIX website to comparison shop their various financial needs. Shoppers choose what they want to compare, obtain a quotation and complete an online application or, with the help of KANETIX connect with the provider to purchase or apply for the product over the phone.
Through its Software as a Service team, KANETIX is also the leading provider of online insurance quotation technology, developing online quotation systems, mobile solutions, actuarial tools and websites for many of Canada's largest insurance brands.
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact: Tara Bolger, [email protected], 416-929-2052.