A drumroll please… the 2016 Aviva Community Fund Grand Prize winners are …
Eighth year of competition concludes, bringing total donations to over $7.5 million
TORONTO, Dec. 6, 2016 /CNW/ - After receiving over 450 ideas for positive change, a record-breaking three million votes and 30 finalists, Aviva Canada is pleased to announce the 13 grand prize winners of the Aviva Community Fund (ACF) competition.
The 13 grand prize winners will share $1,000,000 in funding from ACF, and will also have access to a number of free services from CanadaHelps.org – a partnership announced earlier this year to increase the impact of Aviva Canada's charitable funding.
"It's been another amazing year with the Aviva Community Fund. We're continually inspired by the commitment and engagement in communities across Canada, demonstrated by this year's record-breaking submissions and votes," said Debora Hendrickson, Senior Vice President, Customer and Marketing, Aviva Canada. "A big congratulations to this year's ACF winners and kudos to all the finalists. We are so proud to be able to bring our donation total to over $7.5 million over the past eight years."
Watch our video announcement here, or see our grand prize winners listed below:
Community Resilience (environment, climate, disaster relief and prevention)
- Food Forest (Owen Sound, ON)
- Grand nettoyage de la rivière du Chêne (Sainte-Thérèse, QC)
- Pathway to Progress - Building a Resilient Future (Tecumseh, ON)
- SLAquaponie au Cégep de Rimouski (Rimouski, QC)
Community Health (health, sport, active living and play)
- Building Renovations for Temporary Shelter (Woodstock, NB)
- Caleb's Courage Fund for Pediatric Palliative Care (Cape Breton Island, NS)
- Jessica's House - a residential hospice (Exeter, ON)
- Sacred Heart Academy Playspace with Heart Project (Marystown, NL)
Community Development (education, skills training, culture, research and basic needs)
- Bashaw - A Place for Everyone (Bashaw, AB)
- Dartmouth North Good Food Market & Café (Dartmouth, NS)
- I Am Awesome! (And I Know It!) Self Esteem Retreat (Fort Frances, ON)
- Revitalization of The Hub (Vancouver, BC)
- Share the Harvest, Feed the People! (Moncton, NB)
Finalists receiving $5,000*
- Des jardins à partager partout! (Trois-Rivières, QC)
- Ecole Quarterway Nature Inspired Play Space (Nanaimo, BC)
- Emma's Acres Food Sustainability (Mission, BC)
- Ferme Urbaine (Montréal, QC)
- Holy Redeemer Catholic School's Playground (Kanata, ON)
- Keeping the cancer journey close to home (North Bay, ON)
- Love, Dignity, and Respect (Moncton, NB)
- McGirr Elementary Playground Upgrade (Nanaimo, BC)
- Oliver Community Fundraising Park Project (Oliver, BC)
- Projector and Screen for Columbia Valley Centre (Invermere, BC)
- Raptor Rehabilitation Flight Pen (Georgina, ON)
- Riverstone Playground (Grand Prairie, AB)
- Swan Lake Newfoundland Tour (Toronto, ON)
- Un jardin thérapeutique à La Maison Aube-Lumière (Sherbrooke, QC)
- Une serre à rénover pour des légumes à partager (Lavaltrie, QC)
- We Play For Shaye (Prince Albert, SK)
- Wildlife Veterinary Hospital (Caledon East, ON)
*Donations of $5,000 will be made on behalf of each of the remaining finalists to a charity of their choice.
About Aviva Canada
Aviva Canada is one of the leading property and casualty insurance groups in the country, providing home, automobile, leisure/lifestyle and business insurance to more than three million customers. A wholly-owned subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc, the company has more than 4,000 employees focused on creating a bright and sustainable future for our customers and our communities.
Aviva Canada invests in positive change through the Aviva Community Fund, Canada's longest running online community funding competition. Since its inception in 2009, the Aviva Community Fund has awarded $7.5 million to over 250 charities and community groups nationwide. Aviva Canada, bringing over 300 years of good thinking and insurance solutions to Canadians from coast to coast.
For more information visit avivacommunityfund.org, our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
SOURCE Aviva Canada Inc.
Video with caption: "A drumroll please… the 2016 Aviva Community Fund Grand Prize winners are …". Video available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFgAQIl0lo
For further information: Media Contact: Priscilla Wong, PR Specialist, Aviva Canada, Desk: 416-288-6780, Cell: 647-208-7523, firstname.lastname@example.org