GATINEAU, QC, Jan. 8, 2019 /CNW/ -
- On Monday, January 7, 2019, the Chief Electoral Officer, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Nanaimo–Ladysmith (British Columbia) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between January 18 and July 6, 2019. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election must be held on a Monday, at least 36 days after the day on which the by-election is announced. Therefore, the earliest date that the Nanaimo–Ladysmith by‑election can be held is Monday, February 25, 2019.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent, non-partisan agency that reports directly to Parliament.
SOURCE Elections Canada
For further information: Elections Canada Media Relations, 1-877-877-9515, elections.ca