GATINEAU, QC, Aug. 10, 2017 /CNW/ -
- On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Lac-Saint-Jean (Quebec) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between Sunday, August 20, 2017 and Monday, February 5, 2018. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election period must last at least 36 days, and the by-election must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that the Lac-Saint-Jean by-election can be held is Monday September 25, 2017.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.
SOURCE Elections Canada
For further information: Elections Canada Media Relations, 1-877-877-9515, elections.ca