MONTRÉAL, May 9, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Marie-Claude Turcotte, a resident of Sorel-Tracy in the Montérégie, was the lucky winner of the May 6 Lotto Max jackpot worth an impressive $50,000,000!
- The day after the draw, Ms. Turcotte went to the grocery store and, as usual, checked her ticket using the self-serve machine.
- When she saw all the zeros on the screen, she thought it was an ad, so she asked the cashier to validate her ticket.
- With the confirmation in hand, Ms. Turcotte realized that she would be taking home the entire prize, as she had the only winning ticket in the country!
- Stunned, the winner left the grocery store without making her planned purchased. Taking a deep breath, she returned to the store to get the items she needed.
- "Apparently the $50 million prize winner is in the store right now," was the rumour Ms. Turcotte heard as she picked up her shopping bag.
- Back home, she immediately called her children to announce the incredible news.
- "Well, it's not like I can begin eating six meals a day!" answered the winner when asked how the big win would change her life.
- "I felt like celebrating so I bought a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne," added Ms. Turcotte, describing the first thing she did after becoming a multimillionaire.
- This is the fourth time that a $50 million jackpot is won in Québec.
- Lady Luck continues to smile on Quebecers. A record 96 prizes worth $1 million or more were paid out by the Corporation during fiscal year 2015-2016.
- In the May 6 Lotto Max draw, Quebecers purchased 17% of the tickets; total sales in the country reached $43.9 million.
Loto-Québec's mission is to responsibly and efficiently manage games of chance in a controlled and measured fashion, in the interest of all Quebecers. Entertainment is at the heart of its activities. From January 1 to May 9, 2016, Loto-Québec paid out 42 prizes worth $1 million or more.
Image with caption: "Simon Patenaude, Acting President and CEO of Loto-Québec, Marie-Claude Turcotte, the lucky winner , and Yves Corbeil (CNW Group/Loto-Québec)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160509_C4972_PHOTO_EN_685857.jpg
For further information: Source: Patrice Lavoie, Director, Communications and Press Relations, Loto-Québec and its subsidiaries, 514-499-5130, [email protected], twitter.com/patricelavoie; Information: Elise Paquet-Morin, Communications Advisor, Loto-Québec and its subsidiaries, 514 285-2929, poste 120-2250