Province's largest showcase of innovation complemented by diverse array of community-focused initiatives
VANCOUVER, April 26, 2018 /CNW/ - Technology leaders, industry executives, investors, senior government officials, researchers and students will connect and share insights, experiences and opportunities at this year's #BCTECH Summit. Featuring 190 speakers, 270 exhibitors, 150 investors representing $200B in capital, and international delegates spanning four continents, the #BCTECH Summit will highlight the transformations technology is driving across all industries and showcase innovation's impact on how we work, live and play.
"Technology is everywhere and is revolutionizing every part of our economy," said Shirley Vickers, President & CEO, BC Innovation Council. "I'm looking forward to welcoming a record number of participants to this marquee event that once again will bring together an unparalleled mix of innovators, industry and public-sector leaders."
Vancouver Welcomes Global Corporations From Diverse Sectors
The #BCTECH Summit is where industry meets innovation and is drawing participation from an impressive roster of billion-dollar companies and world-class brands including top sponsors Microsoft and Google Cloud, Lululemon, Amazon, Blue Origin, Lyft, Lockheed Martin, Air Canada, Sage, WeWork, LinkedIn, TELUS, Teck, Vanbex, Hootsuite, Baker Hughes (a GE Company) and Rogers Communications.
Content That Transcends Industries
Now in its third year, the #BCTECH promises its largest, most dynamic event experience with wide-ranging sessions on space flight, the future of work, AI, food security, blockchain, education, and quantum computing—all organized into tailored content streams, such as:
- Data is the New Economy, presented by Microsoft
- Breakthrough in the Digital Age, presented by Google Cloud
- Entrepreneurs, Building with Passion, Data and Purpose, presented by Vancity
- Talent and the Modern Workforce, presented by WorkBC
- Innovating Success in the Global Economy, presented by TELUS
As part of an increased focus on sparking engaging conversations, delegates will be treated to a variety of high quality panel discussions involving distinct topics and every major industry. Examples include: Creating Canadian Champions: How to Scale in Canada; Cascadia: Opportunities and Solutions Beyond Borders; The Future of Retail and E-Commerce and Accelerating Transformation: It's a Quantum World.
New and Noteworthy Opportunities to Connect, Explore and Learn
The 2018 #BCTECH Summit Marketplace has doubled in size to accommodate increased demand and a dynamic arrangement of creative activations that will include:
- Reality Zone presented by Microsoft, features organizations creating visual stories and immersive experiences.
- Female Funders & Founders Lounge hosted by Highline Beta, a space for women (and men) to connect with entrepreneurs, investors, and each other.
- Reconciliation Lounge hosted by the First Nations Technology Council is open to all and easy to find under a 20' bear.
- Research Runway features 47 ground-breaking research projects from 12 B.C. post-secondary institutions.
- Funding Foyer is where 20 funding organizations are ready with capital to grow your business, advance your research or commercialize your innovation.
- Global BC will broadcast Live at 6pm from the Marketplace floor on May 15th.
Array of Events That Bring Together the Extended Innovation Community
From social impact to industrial innovation, the Summit brings together a wide breadth of sectors who are all focused on innovation as an underlying growth factor for BC's economy. An incredible 10 side events will complement conference programming and require separate registration. Highlights include:
- Lipsync Maker Event with Neil Squire Society (registration)
- Women Who Tech | Collaborating on Action to Create an Inclusive Tech Sector (registration)
- Music Cities Hackathon (more info)
- Reconciliation through Indigenous Language and Technology Workshop
- #BCTECH on the Terrace (public event)
- Mining Our Future Lunch hosted by the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade (register)
- Techfest by Techvibes (register)
After sold out events in the first two years, the 2018 #BCTECH Summit will continue to raise the profile of British Columbia as the place in Canada to explore, build and invest. With more than 10,000 tech companies across the province employing 106,000 people, B.C. has become the new tech hub for global companies like Microsoft and Amazon and features several home-grown successes, including Bench, Bitstew Systems, Slack, Hootsuite, and Avigilon.
To get more information or purchase #BCTECH Summit tickets, visit bctechsummit.ca.
About the #BCTECH Summit
The #BCTECH Summit is delivered in partnership by the B.C. government and the BC Innovation Council. As the largest technology conference in Western Canada, this two-day event showcases B.C.'s vibrant tech industry, builds cross-sector opportunities for businesses and explores the latest ideas and innovations that are fueling our local economy.
SOURCE BC Innovation Council
For further information: Jamil A. Karim, Marketing & Communications Manager, BC Innovation Council, [email protected], 604 602 5248