OTTAWA, Feb. 15, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - The Canada Council for the Arts announced today the winners of the 2017 Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts.
The awards carry a $25,000 cash prize and recognize outstanding career achievement. They are funded and administered by the Canada Council for the Arts, and include categories for artistic achievement in visual and media arts, fine craft and outstanding contribution. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Saidye Bronfman Award for Excellence in Fine Crafts.
The awards ceremony and a presentation of the medallions by His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada will take place at Rideau Hall on March 1 at 6 pm.
The 2017 winners are:
- Michèle Cournoyer, animation filmmaker, Montreal
- Mike Hoolboom, filmmaker, Toronto
- Shelagh Keeley, visual artist, Toronto
- Glenn Lewis, visual artist, Vancouver
- Landon Mackenzie, painter, Vancouver
- Philip Monk, curator, writer, Toronto (Outstanding Contribution Award)
- Shelley Niro, multimedia artist, Brantford, Six Nations Of The Grand River
- Pamela Ritchie, jewellery artist, Halifax (Saidye Bronfman Award)
Watch original short films on each of the winners, commissioned by the Canada Council in partnership with the Independent Media Arts Alliance and directed by award-winning Canadian filmmakers, available online now and on Air Canada's in-flight entertainment system, spring 2017.
"These men and women have made tremendous contributions to the arts and society over their rich careers. Celebrating their exceptional work in 2017, as the Council turns 60, reinforces the importance of investing in artistic creation today to grow the impact of the arts in the future."
– Simon Brault, Director and CEO, Canada Council for the Arts
"Our finest artists challenge us to ask questions and to look deeper into our surroundings, to think more critically and to better appreciate beauty. I'm delighted to recognize this outstanding group of Canadian artists in this, Canada's 150th anniversary year."
– His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston
SOURCE Canada Council for the Arts
For further information: Media contacts: Canada Council for the Arts: Meredith Sharpe: 1-800-263-5588 ext. 4166 or 343-998-2627; To arrange interviews with the winners: National PR, Amélie Forcier: 514-843-2307 or 514-799-7011