Winners to be announced live during ceremony at MD&M East Event
LOS ANGELES, April 3, 2014 /CNW/ - UBM Canon and Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) are pleased to announce the finalists for the 2014 Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA), the Medtech Industry's Premier Design Competition. MD+DI's April issue features the 54 cutting-edge finalist products and companies. Winning products will be announced at the 2014 MDEA Ceremony on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. The ceremony will be held in conjunction with the MD&M East event at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York, June 10-12.
The MDEA Program recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers, and the many people behind the scenes—engineers, scientists, designers, and clinicians—who are responsible for the groundbreaking innovations that are saving lives; improving patient healthcare; and transforming medtech worldwide—one innovation at a time.
Entries are evaluated by an impartial panel of medtech experts. Unlike other design competitions, the MDEA Jury is comprised of a mix of practicing doctors, nurses, and technicians alongside industrial designers, engineers, manufacturers, and human factors experts. MDEA finalist and winning entries must excel in areas of design and engineering excellence; manufacturing and technological innovation; clinical efficacy; cost-effectiveness; as well as overall benefits to patients, end-users, and the healthcare industry.
The 2014 MDEA Juror Panel selected 54 exceptional finalists in 11 medical technology product categories.
2014 MDEA FINALIST Products and Manufacturers (alphabetical by category):
Visit the MDEA Finalist listing on MD+DI to see detailed product descriptions, images, and company credits for the manufacturer and submitter companies being recognized, as well as the supplier and designer companies who worked with them to develop these award winning innovations.
CRITICAL-CARE AND EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRODUCTS
- ARKON anesthesia delivery system. Manufactured by Spacelabs Healthcare (Snoqualmie, WA). Submitted by Design Concepts Inc. (Madison, WI).
- Hemolung RAS extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal system. Manufactured and submitted by ALung Technologies Inc. (Pittsburgh, PA).
- Isolibrium critical-care air support surface. Manufactured and submitted by Stryker Medical (Portage, MI).
- RP-VITA remote presence telemedicine robot. Manufactured and submitted by InTouch Health Inc. (Santa Barbara, CA).
- TrueCPR coaching device. Manufactured and submitted by Physio-Control (Redmond, WA).
DENTAL INSTRUMENTS, EQUIPMENT, AND SUPPLIES
- Bluephase Style curing light featuring Polywave LED. Manufactured and submitted by Ivoclar Vivadent AG (Schaan, Liechtenstein).
- Digit Power dispenser for Aquasil Ultra Cordless tissue managing impression system. Manufactured and submitted by Dentsply International, LD Caulk Division (Milford, DE).
- Solea CO? dental laser system for hard and soft tissue. Manufactured by Convergent Dental Inc. (Natick, MA). Entry submitted by HERNETICS (Chelsea, MA).
- Zoom! Teeth Whitening System. Manufactured by Discus Dental Philips Oral Healthcare (Culver City, CA). Entry submitted by DeviceLab Inc. (Tustin, CA).
DRUG-DELIVERY DEVICES AND COMBINATION PRODUCTS
- Auvi-Q epinephrine auto-injector. Manufactured by Sanofi (Bridgewater, NJ). Entry submitted by Kaleo Pharma (Richmond, VA).
- DebioJect intradermal drug delivery device. Manufactured and submitted by Debiotech SA (Lausanne, Switzerland).
- FOX Handheld Nebulizer. Manufactured by and submitted by Vectura GmbH (Germany).
- MedCenter pharmacy kiosk. Manufactured and submitted by MedAvail Technologies Inc. (Mississauga, Canada).
- PROPEL mometasone furoate implant and PROPEL mini mometasone furoate implant. Manufactured and submitted by Intersect ENT (Menlo Park, CA).
GENERAL HOSPITAL DEVICES AND THERAPEUTIC PRODUCTS
- IsoGel AIR therapeutic support surface. Manufactured and submitted by Stryker Medical (Portage, MI).
- LuViva Advanced Cervical Scan point?of?care, non?invasive cervical disease detection device. Manufactured by Guided Therapeutics Inc. (Norcross, GA). Submitted by Big Bang (Decatur, GA).
- MetaNeb system. Manufactured and submitted by Hill-Rom Services Pte. Ltd. (Singapore).
- MuV patient transfer system. Manufactured by CEGA Innovations LLC (Sioux Falls, SD). Submitted by Kablooe Design (Blaine, MN).
- RENASYS Soft Port. Manufactured and submitted by Smith & Nephew Inc. (St. Petersburg, FL).
- SmartSite VialShield closed-vial access device. Manufactured and submitted by Yukon Medical LLC (Research Triangle Park, NC).
IMPLANT AND TISSUE-REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
- Codacs direct acoustic cochlear implant system. Manufactured and submitted by Cochlear Ltd. (Sydney, Australia).
- Compressyn Band implant for sternal closure with Compressyn Band Tensioner. Manufactured and submitted by Dallen Medical Inc. (San Clemente, CA).
- Eclipse soft tissue anchor. Manufactured and submitted by MedShape Inc. (Atlanta, GA).
- GUIDE DBS programming planning and visualization system for deep brain stimulation (DBS). Manufactured and submitted by Boston Scientific Corp. (Natick, MA).
- Persona, the Personalized Knee System. Manufactured and submitted by Zimmer Inc. (Warsaw, IN).
IN VITRO DIAGNOSTIC PRODUCTS AND SYSTEMS
- AtomoRapid HIV (1&2) integrated rapid antibody test. Manufactured and submitted by Atomo Diagnostics Pty Ltd. (Sydney, Australia).
- HYBRiD-XL fully automated continuous access analyzer. Manufactured by DRG Diagnostics GmbH (Marburg, Germany). Submitted by BIT Group (San Diego, CA).
- NIOX VERO airway inflammation monitor. Manufactured by Aerocrine AB (Solna, Sweden). Submitted by Veryday (Bromma, Sweden).
MEDICAL PRODUCT PACKAGING, GRAPHIC INSTRUCTIONS, AND LABELING SYSTEMS
- DISK (Dispenser Integrated System Kit). Manufactured and submitted by CleanCut Technologies LLC (Anaheim, CA).
- ePAK Single-Use Delivery System featuring DVR Crosslock distal radius plating system. Manufactured and submitted by Biomet Orthopaedics Inc. (Miami, FL).
- IMS Signature Series cassettes. Manufactured and submitted by Hu-Friedy Mfg. Co. LLC (Chicago, IL).
- Safe Label System (SLS) enterprise-wide electronic medication preparation safety system. Manufactured and submitted by Codonics Inc. (Middleburg Heights, OH).
- SoTube SoSafe double-sterile barrier packaging. Manufactured and submitted by Selenium Medical (La Rochelle, France).
OVER-THE-COUNTER AND SELF-CARE PRODUCTS
- AEROBIKA oscillating positive expiratory pressure therapy system. Manufactured and submitted by Trudell Medical International (London, Canada).
- FreeStyle Optium Neo blood glucose and ketone monitoring system (not available for sale in the United States). Manufactured and submitted by Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. (Alameda, CA).
- Tria Age-Defying Laser handheld dermatological device. Manufactured by Tria Beauty Inc. (Dublin, CA). Submitted by IDEO (San Francisco, CA).
- Tria Hair Removal Precision Laser handheld dermatological device. Manufactured by Tria Beauty Inc. (Dublin, CA). Submitted by IDEO (San Francisco, CA).
RADIOLOGICAL AND ELECTROMECHANICAL DEVICES
- AIRO Mobile Computed Tomography (CT) System. Manufactured and submitted by Mobius Imaging LLC (Ayer, MA).
- Atomlab 960 thyroid uptake system. Manufactured by Biodex Medical Systems (Shirley, NY). Submitted by Integrated Design Systems Inc. (Oyster Bay, NY).
- DRX-Revolution mobile x-ray system. Manufactured and submitted by Carestream Health (Rochester, NY).
- LumaGEM Molecular Breast Imaging (MBI) system. Manufactured and submitted by Gamma Medica (Salem, NH).
- NvisionVLE Imaging System. Manufactured by NinePoint Medical (Cambridge, MA). Submitted by Farm Design Inc. (Hollis, NH).
REHABILITATION AND ASSISTIVE-TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS
- Aircast AirSelect Elite advanced pneumatic walking boot. Manufactured by DJO Global (Vista, CA). Submitted by Farm Design Inc. (Hollis, NH).
- Carevo shower trolley. Manufactured by ArjoHuntleigh Innovation Center (Malmo, Sweden). Submitted by Veryday (Bromma, Sweden).
- Hercules Patient Repositioner. Manufactured and submitted by The Morel Company (Batesville, IN).
- Quantum Securement System. Manufactured by Q'Straint (Fort Lauderdale, FL). Submitted by Jim Best ID (Hewitt, NJ).
- Snug Vest deep pressure therapeutic garment. Manufactured and submitted by Squeezease Therapy Inc. (Vancouver, Canada).
- Vector Gait and Safety System. Manufactured and submitted by Bioness Inc. (Valencia, CA).
SURGICAL EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS, AND SUPPLIES
- ASSIST Silver low-adherent antimicrobial graft cover dressing. Manufactured and submitted by Milliken Healthcare Products LLC (Spartanburg, SC).
- ENSEAL G2 Articulating Tissue Sealers. Manufactured and submitted by Ethicon Endo-Surgery Inc. (Cincinnati, OH).
- INTUITION Instruments for DePuy ATTUNE Knee System. Manufactured and submitted by DePuy Synthes, Joint Reconstruction (Leeds, UK).
- MicroCutter XCHANGE 30 stapler. Manufactured and submitted by Cardica Inc. (Redwood City, CA).
- POWEREASE System of spine surgery instruments. Manufactured by Medtronic (Memphis, TN). Submitted by IDEO (Cambridge, MA).
- Zip Surgical Skin Closure. Manufactured and submitted by ZipLine Medical Inc. (Campbell, CA).
Join us on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at MD&M East's main networking event—the 2014 Medical Design Excellence Awards ceremony. MD+DI will recognize the finalists and announce the Bronze, Silver, and Gold winners in 11 medtech categories, as well as present the Readers' Choice, Best-In-Show, Lifetime Achievement Awards, and more! RSVP during your MD&M East registration to reserve your ticket. Admission is FREE but donations are encouraged to benefit NCIIA's BMEidea, a design competition for biomedical engineering university students whose winners will also be announced at the ceremony.
The 2014 Medical Design Excellence Awards are sponsored by MedTech World Affiliate Sponsors: K-Tube Technologies; Medical Packaging Community; Phillips-Medisize; Proto Labs; Stellar Technologies; and Teleflex Medical OEM. We thank these major industry suppliers for their generous contributions which have helped to make this year's program possible. To learn more about sponsorship opportunities, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the conversation and congratulate the finalists using #MDEA14. For ongoing coverage, tweets, announcements about MDEA finalists and winners follow MD+DI on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and www.MDEAwards.com.
About UBM Canon
UBM Canon is the leading B-to-B event producer, publisher, and digital media company for the world's $3 trillion advanced, technology-based manufacturing industry. Our print and electronic products deliver trusted information to the advanced manufacturing market and leverage our proprietary 1.3 million name database to connect suppliers with buyers and purchase influencers. We produce more than 50 events and conferences in a dozen countries, connecting manufacturing professionals from around the globe. UBM Canon is part of UBM plc (UBM.L) a global provider of media and information services for professional B-to-B communities and markets.
About UBM plc
UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world's buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organized into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.
For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us on Twitter at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM corporate news; follow @UBM for news and updates from across the businesses and selected members of UBM's Twitterati.
SOURCE: UBM Canon
For further information:
James Costigan, UBM Canon, 310-445-4266, email@example.com
AP PhotoExpress Network: PRN20
PRN Photo Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org