Triathlon Canada to receive government funding to host ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Edmonton
EDMONTON, Feb. 28, 2014 /CNW/ - On behalf of Minister of State (Sport) Bal Gosal, the Honourable Laurie Hawn, Member of Parliament (Edmonton Centre), today announced the Government of Canada will provide Triathlon Canada with $1.5 million through Sport Canada's Hosting Program. Funds will support the organization's hosting of the 2014 International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Triathlon Grand Final, which will be held in Edmonton from August 26 to September 2, 2014.
- The Government also provided approximately $1.1 million to Triathlon Canada for 2013-14 through the Sport Support Program.
- In 2012-13, more than $210,000 was provided through the Athlete Assistance Program to support 21 triathletes with living, training, tuition and special-needs expenses.
- Triathlon Canada, as the governing body for triathlon, promotes, fosters, organizes and develops the sport and its related disciplines in Canada.
"We are pleased to support Triathlon Canada's hosting of the 2014 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final, which provides world-class competition for our elite athletes, in addition to promoting the benefits of a healthy lifestyle to the local community."
- Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport)
"Our Government is committed to ensuring Canadian athletes are provided with the support needed to reach the podium at every opportunity. I am thrilled to see this event taking place in Edmonton, and I wish great success to all athletes at the Grand Final."
- Laurie Hawn, Member of Parliament (Edmonton Centre)
"The world's best triathletes will be descending on Edmonton for this year's event - all striving to gain the maximum qualification points to be able to represent their countries at the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil. We have developed a course that will challenge their abilities, while showcasing Edmonton to the world in the live telecast to more than 150 countries. We are also thrilled and excited at the federal government's support for the event."
- Don Lowry, Chair of the 2014 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final
SOURCE: Canadian Heritage
For further information:
Follow us on Twitter: @SportCanada_EN
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Bal Gosal, P.C., M.P.
Minister of State (Sport)