MONTREAL, May 5, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Monique F. Leroux, Desjardins Group, Chair of the Board, President and CEO, announced during a press luncheon that a renowned group of speakers will take part in the 2014 International Summit of Cooperatives. The Summit roster of well-known panelists and experts will include Robert J. Shiller, a 2013 Nobel laureate in economics; Laura D. Tyson, former Chair of the U.S. President's Council of Economic Advisers; and Richard Wilkinson, co-author of the book The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better.
These experts join other internationally known leaders such as Jeffrey Sachs, Professor and Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University and Special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary-General, who have already confirmed their participation in this second edition of the Summit. Their interest in attending shows that the Summit is perceived as an ideal forum for discussion about the future of cooperative enterprise as well as the solutions this business model offers for major 21st century socioeconomic issues. Their presence in Quebec City from October 6 to 9, 2014, is proof positive that the Summit is an essential event, both for cooperative and mutual leaders and their counterparts from the political and socioeconomic spheres.
"Over 128 speakers and panelists have already confirmed that they will attend the Summit in October. Attracting such a large contingent of experts to Québec City illustrates the growing importance of the cooperative and mutualist movement in the world economy. The Summit, which is clearly becoming a must-attend event, will help showcase the role of cooperatives and demonstrate the myriad solutions this business model offers to meet global economic challenges," Ms. Leroux said.
"In the wake of the 2008 economic crisis, cooperatives proved that they are not only resilient but that they embrace a long-term vision and sustainable development—they are motivated by more than short-term financial results. They represent solutions for resolving major economic and humanitarian issues," Ms. Leroux added.
The latest speakers to join this unique event include:
- Gérard Andreck, CEO, MACIF, France
- Katsumi Asada, President, Japanese Consumer Co-operative Union (JCCU), Japan
- Liz Bailey, Principal, The Bailey Group LLC, United States
- Dr. Nazik Beishenaly, Vice-President, Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Kyrgyz Republic, Kyrgyzstan
- Howard Brodsky, Co-Founder, Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer, CCA Global Partners, United States
- Nathan DeAssis, Chairman of the Board, PFSL-EFC Zambia, Zambia
- Chris Dobrzanski, Chief Economist, Vancity, Canada
- Dame Pauline Green, President, International Co-operative Alliance, Switzerland
- Ariel Enrique Guarco, President, Cooperar, Argentina
- Dr. José Carlos Guisado, President, International Health Cooperative Organisation (IHCO) and Member of the Board and CEO of the Espriu Foundation, Spain
- Jens Henriksson, CEO and President, Folksam, Sweden
- Ranjith Hettiarachchi, CEO, Association of Asian Confederation of Credit Unions (ACCU), Thailand
- Huguette Labelle, President, Transparency International, Germany
- Dominique Lefebvre, President, Confédération nationale de la mutualité, de la coopération et du crédit agricole (CNMCCA), France
- Monique F. Leroux, Chair of the Board, President and CEO, Desjardins Group, Canada
- Richard Lochhead, Member of the Scottish Parliament, Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment, Scotland Dr. Jorge Andres Lopez Bautista, Director General, Coop Central, Colombia
- Martin Lowery, Executive Vice President, External Affairs, National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, United States
- Karen Miner, Managing Director, Sobey School of Business at Saint Mary's University, Canada
- Giovanni Monti, President, Legacoop Emilia Romagna, Italy
- Sandra Polaski, Deputy Director-General, Bureau of International Labour Affairs, Switzerland
- Giuliano Poletti, Minister of Labor and Social Policies, Italy
- Fiona Reynolds, Managing Director, Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), United Kingdom
- Jeffrey Sachs, Professor and Director of The Earth Institute, Columbia University, and Special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary-General, United States
- Gianluca Salvatori, CEO, Euricse, Italy
- Dr. Claudia Sanchez-Bajo, Chair in Co-operative Enterprises, University of Winnipeg, Canada
- Aoua Sawadogo, Director, Financial Centre for Agricultural Entrepreneurs, Fédération des Caisses Populaires du Burkina (FCPB), Burkina Faso
- Robert J. Shiller, 2013 Nobel Co-Laureate in Economics and Professor Emeritus of Economics at Yale University, United States
- R.S. Sodhi, Managing Director, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd. (AMUL), India
- Jocelyn St-Jean, General Director, Fédération des caisses populaires haïtiennes Le Levier, Haiti
- Laura D. Tyson, Professor of Business Administration and Economics and Director, Institute for Business & Social Impact, Haas Business and Public Policy Group, University of California, United States
- Richard Wilkinson, Co-Author of the book The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better, Co-Founder and Board Member, Equality Trust, United Kingdom
- Wenyan Yang, Chief, Social Perspective Branch, Division for Social Policy and Development, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, United States
These many well-known specialists will explore the summit's five themes in depth:
- Developing cooperative and mutual enterprises
- Economics, financing, and capitalization
- Food security
- Health and social care services
The most important international business event of its kind, the 2014 International Summit of Cooperatives will bring together managers, decision makers, and leaders from the cooperative and mutual movement to shape the present and future of cooperatives alongside some of the world's most respected experts. The event, an opportunity to explore the major issues of the 21st century and engage in business networking, is intended to promote and foster the development of cooperative businesses. The Summit will also demonstrate that cooperatives are one answer to the major economic issues of our time. The results of studies announced on February 19 will be unveiled at the Summit, providing a valuable framework for discussing solutions.
Over 2,500 people from 90 countries are expected to attend this event.
The International Summit of Cooperatives website: www.sommetinter.coop
The current list of speakers and panelists is available on the Summit website at: http://www.sommetinter.coop/cms/en_CA/home/edition-2014/conferenciers-1.html
The full list of studies to be unveiled at the Summit is available on the Summit website at: http://www.sommetinter.coop/cms/en_CA/home/edition-2014/etudes.html
About the 2014 International Summit of Cooperatives
Decision makers and influencers from the international cooperative and mutual community will gather in Quebec City, Canada, from October 6 to 9 for the 2014 International Summit of Cooperatives. The Summit's bold, ambitious themes will garner the attention and interest of cooperatives from around the globe as well as world leaders and politicians.
SOURCE: 2014 International Summit of Cooperatives
For further information:
Information (for journalists only):
International Summit of Cooperatives
+1-514-947-7628 | + 1-514-667-0196, ext. 411