JOLIETTE, QC, Feb. 10, 2017 /CNW/ - Mr. Ramez Ayoub, Member of Parliament for Thérèse-De Blainville, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, along with Hélène David, Quebec Minister responsible for Higher Education, today announced a historic investment to help equip young Quebecers with the quality post-secondary education that will help them achieve their goals.
The Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec will invest $1.54 million in a $1.74-million project at the Cégep régional de Lanaudière. The funding will help the institution provide the training required to access the high-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
Federal funding will be allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
The Government of Quebec's contribution is part of the Québec Infrastructure Plan, which sets out investments in all sectors of the economy, including in higher education.
The Cégep régional de Lanaudière will use the funding to upgrade labs for its civil engineering technology program to respond to increasing enrolment.
A total of $1.74 million will be invested in this project:
- The Government of Canada will provide $726,900;
- The Government of Quebec will provide $814,700; and
- The cegep and other partners will provide $200,000.
In total, universities and colleges throughout Quebec will receive nearly $1.1 billion from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors.
As a result of these investments in Quebec, students, professors and researchers will work in state-of-the-art facilities that advance the country's best research. They will collaborate in specially designed spaces that support lifelong learning and skills training. They will work in close proximity with partners to turn discoveries into products or services. In the process, they will train for—and create—the high-value middle-class jobs of the future. And their discoveries will plant the seeds for the next generation of innovators.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"Our goal is to enable Canadians to be trained and ready to face tomorrow's technological challenges. With this significant investment, our government is ensuring that young people will be able to take on the high-level jobs that are essential for stimulating Canada's long-term growth and solidifying the country's coveted position on the world market."
– Ramez Ayoub, Member of Parliament for Thérèse-De Blainville
"Our government will continue to invest time and money in our students' success, and that's why we're together today. Our commitment is clear: do everything possible to help our students and professors accomplish great things. We are making significant investments in the development of our higher education facilities, thereby ensuring that future generations have access to state-of-the-art infrastructure."
– Hélène David, Quebec Minister responsible for Higher Education
"By upgrading infrastructure at the Cégep régional de Lanaudière, we are ensuring that the institution continues to play a key role in the region and remains a source of pride for the whole community. The investment announced today will make the training and learning environment at this institution even more stimulating. This project will, without a doubt, help maintain and extend the appeal of the Lanaudière region while fostering knowledge and innovation."
– Lise Thériault, Deputy Premier of Quebec and Minister responsible for the Lanaudière region
"The Cégep régional de Lanaudière is very proud to see this project coming together under the Strategic Investment Fund. This collaboration between the federal and provincial governments will help our students bring cutting-edge technological skills into the job market and will benefit the entire Lanaudière region."
– Marcel Côté, Director General, Cégep régional de Lanaudière
- The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, and the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, recently announced that the federal government is providing more than $385 million for research infrastructure at institutions throughout Quebec.
- Philippe Couillard, Premier of Quebec, and Hélène David, Minister responsible for Higher Education, recently announced that the Government of Quebec would invest more than $345 million in research infrastructure at post-secondary institutions in Quebec.
- The Cégep régional de Lanaudière has been awarded $726,900 in federal funding through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund as well as a contribution of $814,700 from the Government of Quebec through the Québec Infrastructure Plan.
- The targeted, short-term investments under the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund will promote economic activity across Canada and help Canada's universities and colleges develop highly skilled workers, act as engines of discovery, and collaborate on innovations that help Canadian companies compete and grow internationally.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
- Canada's Innovation Agenda is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
- Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund website
- Innovation Agenda backgrounder
- Strategic Investment Fund interactive map, Quebec ministry of education and higher education (in French)
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Philip Proulx, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, [email protected]; Thierry Bélair, Press Secretary, Office of the Quebec Minister responsible for Higher Education, 418-266-3255; Karl W. Sasseville, Director of Communications and Spokesperson, Office of the Deputy Premier, Minister responsible for Small and Medium Enterprises, Regulatory Streamlining and Regional Economic Development, Minister responsible for the Status of Women and Minister responsible for the Lanaudière region, 418-691-5650