TORONTO, May 26, 2017 /CNW/ - The Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation (OTMPC) is kicking off the summer tourism season and helping Ontarians discover why this is going to be one of the best summers ever. Celebrations for Ontario's and Canada's 150th anniversaries have started a buzz across the province creating vacation memories that will last a lifetime.
The 150th celebrations, and much more, will be highlighted during Tourism Week in Ontario, from May 28 to June 3. Ontario Travel Information Centres (OTICs) will be hosting regional events and open houses to provide consumers with an array of exciting tourism offerings.
Whether it is taking in local arts and culture, enjoying a family-friendly attraction, relaxing at a resort, immersing yourself in a music festival or exploring an Ontario outdoor trail, the options for travellers are endless.
OTMPC's award-winning 'Where Am I?' campaign continues to inspire Ontarians with the intrigue of exploring areas of the province they might not have experienced before. The campaign uses a mix of television, digital, print and social media tactics with captivating imagery.
Tourism is an important economic driver for the province. There are over 140 million visitors to Ontario generating $23.9 billion in visitor spending and supporting 372,000 jobs.
- OTIC regional events and open houses take place as follows:
- St. Catharines (May 26)
- Sault Ste. Marie (May 30)
- Windsor (June 7)
- Barrie (June 9)
- Hawkesbury (June 23)
- Toronto (July 1)
For OTIC locations please visit ontariotravel.net
- Visitors are encouraged to share their Ontario tourism experience using #DiscoverON
- The first ever Ontario Trails Week is being celebrated May 29 to June 4. Learn more about how to enjoy an Ontario Trail at www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/sport/recreation/trails.shtml
- View the 'Where Am I?' Ontario travel guide online at: ontariotravel.net
- See Ontario like never before at: ontariotravel.net
- Learn more about Ontario150 at: Ontario.ca/150
"This summer, as we commemorate Ontario's150th anniversary, I encourage everyone to get out and discover all that our incredible province has to offer. From embarking on urban adventures to taking in Ontario's breathtaking landscapes, there is so much to do and see in Ontario."
– Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"As a tourism marketing agency, we are thrilled to be able to share with consumers the amazing experiences that Ontarians can enjoy when they travel within their own province. The summer is always a precious time for friends and family to get together and we are pleased to be able to present unique and exciting vacation ideas for this season."
– Lisa LaVecchia, President and CEO, Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation
"Tourism business owners across the province are gearing up for an impressive 2017 summer season. Celebrations for Ontario and Canada's 150th Anniversary will set a unique backdrop for anyone planning to explore and discover the province this summer - whether they're Ontarians travelling at home or international visitors checking Ontario off their bucket lists."
– Beth Potter, President and CEO, Tourism Industry Association of Ontario
SOURCE Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation
For further information: Media Contact: Lydia Devereaux, Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation, [email protected], 416-314-6590