TORONTO, Oct. 25, 2013 /CNW/ - Today, to mark Canada's Small Business Day, Shop Small Biz announced the winners of its 2013 Small Biz Champions contest, presented by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB). Interac Association is a proud supporter of Shop Small Biz.
Ten winners were selected from over 700 entries. Entrants to the contest were asked to submit stories and photos that show why they love being entrepreneurs. Winners were selected for how well their entries demonstrated their entrepreneurial spirit and community involvement.
"Entrepreneurs represent the very best of what it means to be Canadian," said CFIB president Dan Kelly. "They are resourceful, hard-working, and they care about their communities. Today, on Canada's Small Business Day, we celebrate ten Small Biz Champions who embody that spirit, and we ask Canadians to celebrate their own local small businesses by shopping small and visiting shopsmallbiz.ca."
The 2013 Small Biz Champions are:
- Alberta - Flying High Manufacturing, a 30 year old small business serving "parachute equipped" customers.
- British Columbia - Esteem Lingerie, a mom and daughter-owned lingerie store working to empower women.
- British Columbia - Spud Shack Co., an award winning company that produces locally produced food and beverage products.
- Nova Scotia - Treasures of Distinction, a gift shop in Pictou that is a strong supporter of local artists, community events and causes.
- Ontario - Printables.Me, a start-up by two young professionals that brings photos and prints to life on canvas.
- Ontario -Truth Beauty Company, a small business that brings environmentally conscious and safe beauty and skin care products to women, men and children.
- PEI - Christine's Closet, a clothing store at the heart of the island community.
- Quebec - Alpha Combustion, a leader in the heating and air conditioning business in Gatineau since 1999.
- Quebec - Mécanique Bruno Fortier, an experienced mechanic that has been serving the local community since 1986.
- Saskatchewan - Cypress Hill Eco-Adventure, a company that provides an outdoor zip-line experience in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.
"We are proud to support Shop Small Biz and congratulate Canada's Small Biz Champions," said Caroline Hubberstey, Head of External Affairs, Interac Association and Acxsys Corporation. "We want to empower small business, and the shopsmallbiz.ca website is one way that we help do that, by giving smaller companies the opportunity to reach more customers."
The Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses (CFIB) is a proud supporter of small businesses and the entrepreneurs that drive our economy. CFIB has 109,000 small- and medium-sized businesses as members across Canada.
Supporting small businesses is about more than a one-day event. Everyday CFIB works to defend the interests of small businesses at all levels of government. In addition, it provides practical advice and counseling on business-related matters and uses its clout to provide savings and benefits on services that are important to entrepreneurs.
About Interac Association
The Interac® Network is Canada's only domestically run, coast-to-coast debit payment network. Interac Debit is one of the lowest cost payment acceptance methods for Canadian merchants, at pennies per transaction regardless of the size of the bill.
Consumers across the country have made Interac Canada's leading payment brand and a home-grown success story and part of our lives for nearly 20 years. From the quick grocery store stops on the way home from work to filling up the gas tank on the way to the local hockey rink and a quick coffee run on route, Interac Debit helps consumers make those everyday purchases securely, with ease and confidence, using their own money straight from their bank account. Now, paying with Interac Debit is even faster and more convenient with Interac FlashTM, the contactless enhancement of Interac Debit.
Consumers can use Interac Debit at over 400 thousand merchant locations in Canada; from convenience stores to specialty clothing shops to gas stations and coffee shops. Check out the merchant locator for a growing list of Interac FlashTM acceptance points.
About the shopsmallbiz.ca online directory
CFIB and Interac have launched the new shopsmallbiz.ca online directory - a made-in-Canada business directory that allows small business owners to promote themselves to Canadian consumers and each other. The directory will connect thousands of Canadian small business owners with millions of consumers who are looking for local deals.
Independent Canadian businesses can register and promote their businesses with ease and access numerous training tools that will assist in providing them with greater exposure. Consumers will be able search the directory by location, category, and special offer, simply by typing keywords into the search bar. The experience is fluid and simple, utilizing a design that instills confidence in users and brings maximum exposure to the small businesses that sign up.
Canadian small businesses can sign up by filling in their information at shopsmallbiz.ca. Among the many features of the directory will be the ability to add and manage multiple businesses from one account, add a custom logo, enter deals in both English and French, and upload promotional photos, YouTube videos and other unique, local content to help promote their business and reach consumers looking for local deals.
Interac and Interac Flash are trade-marks of Interac Inc. Used under license.
SOURCE: Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)
For further information:
Satinder Chera, Vice President, Communications
Canadian Federation of Independent Business
T: (416) 669-7632 E: firstname.lastname@example.org