TORONTO, Dec. 28, 2018 /CNW/ - The trustees of the Charles Taylor Foundation request the media to attend a conference to announce the finalists for the 2019 RBC Taylor Prize. The 30-minute press conference will take place Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10 a.m. sharp in the Consort Bar (Main Level) of The Omni King Edward Hotel, 37 King Street East Toronto, ON M5C 1E9.
There will be five finalists on this year's shortlist, which the jury will select from the 10 longlisted books announced in early December 2018.
Who: Noreen Taylor, chair of the Charles Taylor Foundation and Prize founder. Presenting Sponsor Vijay Parmar, president of RBC PH&N Investment Counsel, RBC Taylor Prize 2018 Jurors Camilla Gibb and Roy MacGregor
What: RBC Taylor Prize Shortlist Announcement Event
Why: To hear the names of the shortlist authors/books and celebrate all 10 books on the RBC Taylor Prize longlist of Canadian Literary Nonfiction works.
When: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 at 10:00 am sharp
Where: The Omni King Edward Hotel, Main Level Consort Bar, 37 King Street East, downtown Toronto
The longlisted books for the 2019 RBC Taylor Prize are:
1) Son of a Critch: A Childish Newfoundland Memoir, by Mark Critch, published by Viking/Penguin Canada
2) Just Let Me Look at You: On Fatherhood, by Bill Gaston, published by Hamish Hamilton/Penguin Canada
3) Jan in 35 Pieces: A Memoir in Music, by Ian Hampton, published by Porcupine's Quill
4) Lands of Lost Borders: Out of Bounds on the Silk Roads, by Kate Harris, published by Knopf Canada.
5) All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir, by Elizabeth Hay, published by McClelland & Stewart
6) Trust: Twenty Ways to Build a Better Country, by David Johnston, published by Signal/M&S **
7) Seeking the Fabled City: The Canadian Jewish Experience, by Allan Levine, published by McClelland and Stewart
8) Power, Prime Ministers and the Press: The Battle for Truth on Parliament Hill, by Robert Lewis, published by Dundurn Press.
9) Heart Berries: A Memoir, by Terese Marie Mailhot, published by Doubleday Canada
10) Mamaskatch: A Cree Coming of Age, by Darrel McLeod, published by Douglas & McIntyre.
The presenting sponsor of the RBC Taylor Prize is RBC Wealth Management. The media sponsors are The Globe and Mail, Cision, The Huffington Post Canada, Quill & Quire magazine; its in-kind sponsors are Ben McNally Books, Event Source, Toronto international Festival of Authors, and The Omni King Edward Hotel. The RBC Taylor Prize winner will be revealed at a gala luncheon on Monday March 4th, 2019 at the Omni King Edward Hotel in downtown Toronto.
To download high-resolution images of the longlisted authors and their book covers please go to: www.rbctaylorprize.ca/2019/rbctp_2019_longlist_covers_and_authors.zip
To download high-resolution images of the trustees and the jury please go to: www.rbctaylorprize.ca/2019/2019_trustees_and_jury.zip
For general information about the Prize please go to: www.rbctaylorprize.ca.
Follow the RBC Taylor Prize on Twitter at www.twitter.com/taylorprize
Like the RBC Taylor Prize on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RBCTaylorPrize
** Please note that juror Beverley McLachlin recused herself from discussion on this title, as she had contributed the Foreword.
SOURCE RBC Taylor Prize
For further information: Media contact: Stephen Weir & Associates, Stephen Weir: 416-489-5868 | cell: 416-801-3101 | email@example.com, @sweirsweir