Alternative Budget promotes a budget for the rest of us
OTTAWA, March 15, 2012 /CNW/ - The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) urges the federal government to table a detailed budget that restores Canadians' trust in the economy, public institutions, and democracy.
With the release of its annual Alternative Federal Budget (AFB), the CCPA addresses the concerns of mainstream Canada by putting forward a public investment plan that promotes a better quality of life for all Canadians, not just an elite few.
"Recent public opinion polls indicate Canadians are losing faith in the direction this country is headed, but there's little indication that their federal government is listening," says CCPA Senior Economist David Macdonald.
"The Harper government has been dodging the issues facing Canadians, and has signaled it will table a budget short on details about its planned $4-8 billion in spending cuts. We're calling on this government to deliver a transparent budget that protects the services Canadians rely on and scrap costly programs like new prisons and fighter jets that don't reflect the priorities of mainstream Canada."
The AFB shows we can invest in public programs, job creation, and infrastructure to the benefit of all Canadians and still balance the books.
"The middle class is in a slump, young people are struggling to start their lives, infrastructure is crumbling, and concerns about environmental sustainability are brushed off in the rush to sell our natural resources. Canadians need an action plan that wrestles with these big issues and that's exactly what the Alternative Federal Budget offers," says CCPA Senior Economist Armine Yalnizyan.
The AFB plan:
- Tackles poverty and income inequality through public programs including education, affordable housing, public pensions, universal pharmacare, and national child care.
- Creates 329,000 jobs at its peak, lowering the unemployment rate to 6% or below.
- Calls on the affluent to contribute their fair share, by closing tax loopholes for the wealthy and ending the federal government's failed corporate tax cut experiment.
- Turns Canada into an environmental leader with a forward-looking green strategy.
- Repairs our cities and builds sustainable communities with a long-term physical infrastructure program
All Alternative Federal Budget 2012 materials are available on the CCPA website: http://policyalternatives.ca
Kerri-Anne Finn, CCPA Senior Communications Officer, at 613-563-1341 x306.