OTTAWA, June 11, 2015 /CNW/ - As part of the strengthened and modernized Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) put in place to support the government's Responsible Resource Development Initiative, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) commenced a federal environmental assessment of the proposed Marine Terminal Project on the North Shore of the Saguenay, located in Quebec.
The Agency invites the public to comment on which aspects of the environment may be affected by this project and what should be examined during the environmental assessment, as detailed in the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Guidelines.
Consistent with the transparency and public engagement elements of CEAA 2012, this is the second of four opportunities for the public to comment on this project. All comments received will be considered public. Written comments must be submitted by July 11, 2015 to:
Marine Terminal Project on the North Shore of the Saguenay
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
901-1550 avenue d'Estimauville
Québec QC G1J 0C1
Projects subject to CEAA 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach. If the project is permitted to proceed to the next phase, it will continue to be subject to Canada's strong environmental laws, rigorous enforcement and follow-up, and fines for non-compliance.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is seeking public comments on the draft EIS Guidelines for the proposed Marine Terminal Project on the North Shore of the Saguenay, located in Sainte-Rose-du-Nord, Quebec.
- The draft EIS Guidelines and more information on this project are available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80103.
- Following this comment period, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency will finalize and issue the EIS Guidelines to the proponent. An application period for participant funding and a future public comment period on the proponent's EIS will be announced at a later date.
- The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Marine Terminal Project on the North Shore of the Saguenay (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Responsible Resource Development (Canada's Economic Action Plan)
SOURCE Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
Renseignements: Ted Laking, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of the Environment, 819-997-1441; Mathieu Saintonge, Communications Officer, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-957-0493, firstname.lastname@example.org, Follow us on Twitter: @CEAA_ACEE