How to file an insurance claim
THORNHILL, ON, June 26, 2014 /CNW/ - With significant rainfall in some parts of the Greater Toronto Area the last few days, a number of homeowners may be facing water damage. CAA Insurance reminds them how best to make an insurance claim:
- Contact your insurance company immediately. If you are insured with CAA Insurance, call 1-800-387-2656 or 1-877-222-1717 to report your claim
- Have your policy number ready. This is one of the first pieces of information you'll be asked for.
- Document and take photos of the water damage. Adjustors will need as much information as possible.
- Ask questions about your home insurance coverage and deductible.
"Our main priority in times of need is to make sure our customers are looked after right away," said Matthew Turack, Vice President, CAA Insurance Company (Ontario). "Dealing with sudden water damage is stressful for our homeowners and we want to make the process of rectifying it as easy as possible for them."
Water damage caused by sudden, heavy rains, which are becoming more and more frequent during the spring and summer months, can be avoided through the following tips:
- Install flood shields on all basement windows above ground level.
- Extend downspouts so that rainwater flows away from your home.
- Call your local city works department to see if your home is located in a flood plain.
- In older homes, ensure you have a properly installed backflow valve to prevent sewage back up in your home.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontariois one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.