- Fans have a chance to win The Game of Thrones 'Own the Throne' contest, which includes A Song of Ice and Fire book set signed by George R.R. Martin, HBO's Game of Thrones Season 1 on DVD and a $1,000 gift card. Enter at www.moviecentral.ca/ownthethrone
- Experience the power of the Iron Throne, open to the public at VIFF's Vancity Theatre
- Free public marathon screening and box set give away of Game of Thrones Season 1
TORONTO, March 7, 2012 /CNW/ - HBO Canada, a multiplex channel of Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada) and Astral's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada), is excited to bring the Iron Throne from the hit HBO series Game of Thrones to Vancouver on Friday, March 23. Before the premiere of Game of Thrones Season 2 on Sunday, April 1 on HBO Canada, devoted fans of the epic series and curious onlookers alike can be photographed seated on the Iron Throne and join other fans for a marathon screening of Game of Thrones Season 1 at VIFF's Vancity Theatre (located at the Vancouver International Film Centre, 1181 Seymour Street, at Davie, Vancouver) starting at 8 a.m. PT. Fans will also have a chance to battle in a live strategic game of Musical Thrones (chairs) in The Game of Thrones 'Own the Throne' contest: www.moviecentral.ca/ownthethrone.
"We're thrilled to mark the launch of Game of Thrones Season 2 by bringing Vancouver fans together to celebrate with a Season 1 marathon and the opportunity to interact with the series' iconic throne," said Jim Johnson, VP Marketing at Movie Central. "We hope everyone can come out and feel a part of the world of Westeros before the anticipated premiere on April 1."
Additional event and prizing details are as follows:
- Enter The Game of Thrones 'Own the Throne' contest at www.moviecentral.ca/ownthethrone. The Iron Throne is coming to Vancouver and HBO Canada wants to give fans of the series a chance to be crowned 'King' or 'Queen' and take their place on the Iron Throne. Enter online at www.moviecentral.ca/ownthethrone to qualify for a spot to play The Game of Thrones 'Own the Throne' contest at VIFF's Vancity Theatre on Friday, March 23. With 10 finalists battling it out in a competition of musical thrones, only one will be crowned 'King' or 'Queen' and win the ultimate prize pack - a $1,000 gift card (at a Canadian retailer of the winner's choice), A Song of Ice and Fire Book Set autographed by George R.R. Martin, and Season 1 of HBO's Game of Thrones on DVD. The runners-up will receive a $50 gift card.
- Photo Opportunity on the Iron Throne. Open to the public on Friday, March 23, fans can have their photo taken on the Iron Throne, in the atrium of Vancity Theatre. http://www.viff.org/theatre/.
- Game of Thrones Season 1 Marathon and Box Set Give Away. Free to the public on Friday, March 23 (doors open at 7:30 a.m. PT), all 10 episodes of the first season of Game of Thrones will be shown at the state-of-the-art VIFF's Vancity Theatre. The series premiere will kick off the marathon at 8 a.m. PT with all episodes starting on the hour with the season finale starting at 6 p.m. PT. Prizes will be drawn every hour leading up to finale. The first 40 fans to be seated in the theatre for the 6 p.m. finale will win a Game of Thrones Season 1 box set. All screenings will be first-come, first-served.
About the Iron Throne: As seen on the HBO series, the Iron Throne stands over seven feet tall and weighs over 500 pounds. In the best-selling George R.R. Martin books, the HBO series is based on, the throne is the ultimate symbol of power, with the King of the Seven Kingdoms sitting on it as he dispenses justice. The Iron Throne was constructed by Aegon Targaryen, the first king of the Seven Kingdoms and made from a thousand blades of the swords surrendered by his enemies.
About Game of Thrones: Season 2
Premieres Sunday, April 1 at 9:00 p.m. ET/MT on HBO Canada
HBO's epic fantasy series Game of Thrones launches its 10-episode second season. Based on the popular book series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin, this Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic struggle for power in a vast and violent fantasy kingdom. Among the returning members of the ensemble cast are Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Peter Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey and Kit Harington. The series is Executive Produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Game of Thrones Season 1 is currently available on demand with participating broadcasters.
Note to media: For more details and photo opportunities, please contact the Media Relations team at HBO Canada (see below for contact information).
|Hash tag: #OwnTheThrone|
About HBO Canada
HBO Canada is a multiplex channel offered by Astral's The Movie Network (Eastern Canada) and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central (Western Canada). HBO Canada brings Canadians the current slate of signature dramatic programs for which HBO is known, together with new and never-before-seen programming including comedy series, live specials, sporting events, behind-the-scenes content and titles from HBO's extensive library - all in an uncut and commercial-free environment. HBO Canada is offered in high definition on HBO Canada HD and programming is accessible on demand and online where available by service provider. For more information, please visit www.hbocanada.com.
Movie Central is owned by Corus Entertainment Inc. (CJR.B), a Canadian-based media and entertainment company. Corus is a market leader in specialty television and radio with additional assets in pay television, television broadcasting, children's book publishing and children's animation. Experience Corus on the web at www.corusent.com.
The Movie Network is a member of the Astral family. Astral Media Inc. (TSX : ACM.A/ACM.B) is one of Canada's largest media companies. It operates several of the country's most popular pay and specialty television, radio, out-of-home advertising and interactive media properties. Astral plays a central role in community life across the country by offering diverse, rich and vibrant programming that meets the tastes and needs of consumers and advertisers. To learn more about Astral, visit astral.com.
Image with caption: "Iron Throne from HBO's Game of Thrones will be in Vancouver March 23 (CNW Group/Movie Central) (CNW Group/HBO Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120307_C2548_PHOTO_EN_10912.jpg